Nick's "lvndpst" Restoration (and Slight Modification) Thread

They are older 170's, but Woody at Fordstrokers freshened them up and installed new springs/retainers for the person I bought them from. The PO never dyno'd the engine, and he ran it carbed as well. I will be happy if it makes 400 rwhp, and 375+ rwtq. I really have no idea what to expect, because the heads are older, and I dont read cam grind language. From what the PO told me, it is more of a high end screamer than a stump puller. I may swap rear end gears if need be. We'll see. I will be dynoing it next summer once I have the rest of my support mods installed (exhaust, TB, ignition). This summer is just about getting it in the car and running.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

PS, pics from tonight.

20170715_180348-1.jpg

20170715_180416.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
They are older 170's, but Woody at Fordstrokers freshened them up and installed new springs/retainers for the person I bought them from. The PO never dyno'd the engine, and he ran it carbed as well. I will be happy if it makes 400 rwhp, and 375+ rwtq. I really have no idea what to expect, because the heads are older, and I dont read cam grind language. From what the PO told me, it is more of a high end screamer than a stump puller. I may swap rear end gears if need be. We'll see. I will be dynoing it next summer once I have the rest of my support mods installed (exhaust, TB, ignition). This summer is just about getting it in the car and running.
That's awesome and it looks beautiful. I told myself I wasn't going to crack open my stock motor and I wouldn't do an other stock block stroker. But now I'm thinking of a stock block 331ci to replace my stock motor when it goes.

That's awesome and it looks beautiful. I told myself I wasn't going to crack open my stock motor and I wouldn't do an other stock block stroker. But now I'm thinking of a stock block 331ci to replace my stock motor when it goes.

It really just boils down to your budget and use for the car. I will never have this car as a crazy boosted racer. You can safely get 425-450 rwhp out of the stock block, and that is plenty of fun in a foxbody for street use. If I decide to go bigger down the road, it'll be a 408W. The 351 block holds good power, and I prefer N/A power for its ease.

When I stumbled on this engine, I was really just looking for heads. I already planned on a TFS1 cam, and stretching everything I could out of my stock engine. Then I realized I could have this whole pretty fresh stroker engine for barely more than what I would have in my old assed shortblock by the time I replaced the timing gears/chain, gaskets, water pump, harmonic balancer, etc. Direct swap, already had those BBK headers from an old car... Just couldnt hold out for the 408W when this was going to be so much more cost effective.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Been doing some reading... Seems that a lot of people say that you can run the stock Fox ignition up to about the 500 hp level (unless boosted)? Have any of you guys run a bone stock ignition on a 331 or 347? I only plan to rev it to 6200 or so.

Been doing some reading... Seems that a lot of people say that you can run the stock Fox ignition up to about the 500 hp level (unless boosted)? Have any of you guys run a bone stock ignition on a 331 or 347? I only plan to rev it to 6200 or so.
I ran a stock ignition on my 331 and 393w strokers until boosted it. In my last fox I had a 306 11:1 compression AFR 165, Custom Comp cam, Holley Systemax II, and ran stock ignition on it for a while. I only upgraded to MSD on it because I was spinning it to 7k.

What's up with these:

upload_2017-7-17_19-58-47.png

?

You have a very keen eye, Mr Creator of the Interwebz. My Remflex gaskets will be here tomorrow. They are hand tight for right now to keep junk out of the ports. That side you pointed out has the PO's gasket stuck to the head, as well as my old gasket stuck to the header. Hence why there are very few threads available.

As far as the one that looks tight, the stud came out of the head, rather than the nut off the stud. So the stud is only a few threads into the head.

You have a very keen eye, Mr Creator of the Interwebz. My Remflex gaskets will be here tomorrow. They are hand tight for right now to keep junk out of the ports. That side you pointed out has the PO's gasket stuck to the head, as well as my old gasket stuck to the header. Hence why there are very few threads available.

As far as the one that looks tight, the stud came out of the head, rather than the nut off the stud. So the stud is only a few threads into the head.

Very glad to hear. lol

It's a PITA because it seems like nobody has a header flange that's the thickness they say it is. :fuss:

While on vacation in Branson, I found my Explorer TB. It was lodged in the stroller that normally hangs on the wall next to my parts pile, just as pictured. Strangest part is I didnt notice it while loading the stoller, nor unloading it into our hotel room, only when loading it back in the car for day 1 adventures.

20170813_095721.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Once you change the Throttle body then ya gotta change the upper and lower manifold, larger injectors, then comes the heads and cam, your better off leaving the stroller stock for now till you have all the parts or it's a waste of time in my opinion...

Reactions: 2 users