Nick's "lvndpst" Restoration (and Slight Modification) Thread

• Sponsors (?)

Lol, Im pretty sure anyone in here could have done it better. But it will be covered by the intake tube, and its never going to be a show car anyway. Just didnt want it rusting away more! Hopefully tonight I can sand it, paint it, and drop the engine in while it dries!

Good job man !

Wish I would've done that....but...inexperience won that battle.

Glad you listened to reason. That cars in very good hands.

Lol, Im pretty sure anyone in here could have done it better. But it will be covered by the intake tube, and its never going to be a show car anyway. Just didnt want it rusting away more! Hopefully tonight I can sand it, paint it, and drop the engine in while it dries!
Wait a minute.....You have the entire drivetrain out of the car, and a perfect opportunity for a quickie detail of that engine compartment, and now you're gonna just throw the engine back in on top of 30 years of grease, road grime, and Iowa funk?

1. You never get to tell me that my digital gauges look out of place.
(Nothing looks more out of place than a shiny engine in a filthy bay)
2. You never get to say " If it were me" when giving advice.
Because "If it were me" I'd spend a weekend cleaning and spray detailing the areas in that bay that can be seen.

You Iowa guys...:nonono:

Reactions: 1 users
Why get all bent out of shape over something 99% of the world will never see? I have to wash the bay before painting the repair, but if the white film doesnt come off with a few scrubs of a brush, Im not going all @madmike1157 on it with a toothbrush and a buffer. It is what it is, a 28 year old unrestored car... The top half of the bay (the part you actually see) is clean enough to make the new(ish) engine not stand out like a sore thumb.

Why get all bent out of shape over something 99% of the world will never see? I have to wash the bay before painting the repair, but if the white film doesnt come off with a few scrubs of a brush, Im not going all @madmike1157 on it with a toothbrush and a buffer. It is what it is, a 28 year old unrestored car... The top half of the bay (the part you actually see) is clean enough to make the new(ish) engine not stand out like a sore thumb.
If that's the case what was wrong with the factory wheels, the factory front bumper, the brakes, and that old-ish stock 5.0?
Or do those mods escape the "it is what it is, a 28 year old unrestored car" analogy?

Last edited:
Mikey, Mikey, Mikey, whatever would I do without your logic? Those broken, worn out, or unsafe parts dont really relate to caked on dust film in an area untouched or unseen in regular day to day use. I will give it a once over just for you though.

Mikey, Mikey, Mikey, whatever would I do without your logic? Those broken, worn out, or unsafe parts dont really relate to caked on dust film in an area untouched or unseen in regular day to day use. I will give it a once over just for you though.
You'll thank me in the end..;)

I'll just say "you're welcome" now.

Reactions: 1 user
You'll thank me in the end..;)

I'll just say "you're welcome" now.

Well buddy, I'll use one of your special words to describe the lower half of my engine bay. PATINA. After scrubbing with a rag and soapy water, it is just as dusty looking as before.

Some dirt came off, notice the brown water..
20171004_185232.jpg

Here is the passenger side corner where the frame rail meets the firewall, AFTER I hand scrubbed that frame rail.
20171004_185257.jpg

So. Maybe it'll get a coat of red paint while Im painting the rest of the frame rail. Not like that :poo: is coming off, may as let paint sit on it.

Last edited:
Im happy as a pig in :poo: that the other side is solid, because I am not patient enough for this! Last night I messed up trying to lightly sand my primer too soon. I am hoping I can sand this smooth enough for my standards, and put some color on it tonight.

20171004_200624.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Boom, like that frame rail was never rusted through.

20171005_185046-1.jpg

@madmike1157 , see that fresh redness? Now the clean top half looks like the dirty part. I didnt worry about the K member though, it will get changed out in 10 years or so. Next step, drop the engine in!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hopefully, they only had to do my custom built stuff once though..

I can't watch this,..( it'll make me faint) but you guys can

it was scary just to watch the Dr. hammer on all the parts...I would never imagine using a hammer on someone's bones like that.

Reactions: 1 user
I lowered the engine into its new home tonight. While doing so, I managed to scratch the fresh paint, and only the fresh paint, lol. FML.

20171005_211801.jpg

20171005_211334.jpg

So much for it looking smooth and pretty. Its getting scuffed, touched up, and Im moving on to assembly. :banana:

Reactions: 4 users