Nick's "lvndpst" Restoration (and Slight Modification) Thread

Fell back a few pages... I finished bolting up my MAC H pipe last night (which fit like sht), and installing new oxygen sensors. I put two gallons of gas in the tank (its about to sit for 6 months, so no need for several gallons), and gave the key a turn. To my surprise it started right up and ran like complete :poo:, lol. I thought I had the distributor off a tooth, and proceeded to advance and retard it, effectively never having the car start again after that. Once I could smell gas, I stopped trying. Did a little investigating and figured out I ran my spark plug wires for a 351W firing order. Im so smrt! Tonight I will re route them, restab the distributor, and we should have fire! Its friggin loud, but I will make a vid with my phone outside to capture it without being complete drone sounding.

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Ah, turns out the pic I had stumbled on was from a truck forum. I just googled 302 spark plug wire routing, and didnt give it much thought.

Screenshot_2017-10-12-20-06-41.png

A simple rerouting of a few spark plug wires, and viola.

I tried uploading a video from my phone, but even cut down to 10 seconds, it says its too big to upload. Tried uploading it to Photobucket, and they want me to confirm my email address that got hacked and shut down two years ago, so no go there either. It needs some tuning and a catback, but timing and idle are set. It idles well, so at least I know my used parts all work.

Next up is installing my clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, since I left the clutch cable disconnected from the swap. Then if it doesnt snow first, I might be able to go for a cruise.

Reactions: 5 users
I know guys, I hate Iowa winters with a passion. The cold, the snow, salt and sand ruining vehicles, being tracked into the house and cars, shoveling, etc. If mine and my wife's families didnt all live here, we would pick up and start over somewhere in the south while our kids are young. But that isnt going to happen, so I just need to build a nice big heated garage to play in through the winter.

Reactions: 3 users
So I made another dumb error with my valve cover breather tube. I forgot to drill the Explorer TB for the tube off the stock TB. The EGR spacer had a port, so I just hooked it up there and didnt think much of it.

20171019_224445.jpg

Turns out hooking it up behind the TB blade instead of in front of it makes a big difference in how the car runs. I found a brass plug for the EGR spacer port. Since I already threw away what was left of my stock throttle body like a moron, I am going to plumb the breather line to my intake tube like the Explorers did. Found a little grommet type deal to use for cheap.

Screenshot_2017-11-09-09-12-36.png

I will have that tomorrow, and will get it installed tomorrow night since I can take it indoors and do it in the kitchen. Still need to figure out how to get a video to upload here.

Do you still have your stock throttle body?

You could remove the tube from that, drill the explorer TB and JB weld it into place. That's how I converted the explorer TB currently on my car

Do you still have your stock throttle body?

You could remove the tube from that, drill the explorer TB and JB weld it into place. That's how I converted the explorer TB currently on my car

You are a look at the pictures kind of guy, eh? Just kidding, but yeah I had said I threw away my stock TB already, like a moron. Im not gonna spend $30-$40 on Ebay for a junk TB just for the tube.

Reactions: 1 user
You are a look at the pictures kind of guy, eh? Just kidding, but yeah I had said I threw away my stock TB already, like a moron. Im not gonna spend $30-$40 on Ebay for a junk TB just for the tube.

Send me your address. I have the remnants of the stock TB I tore apart for my explorer TB conversion I was gonna chuck in the trash.

The early explorer TBs did have that tube so I don't need it

Send me your address. I have the remnants of the stock TB I tore apart for my explorer TB conversion I was gonna chuck in the trash.

The early explorer TBs did have that tube so I don't need it

I really appreciate it, but I am going to try this other route. I can mount this elbow to the underside of the intake tract, and that PCV tube will be a little more hidden.

That being said, if it doesnt seem to work I will hit you up, if you would be so kind as to rob the tube and throw it in a drawer just in case.

Got a couple minor, yet necessary items done this evening. I put bedding in my dogs' dog house, covered it with several layers of thick blankets and a tarp, installed their doggy door, and plugged in their warming dog water dish. They are all set for tonight's 14 degree low. For those concerned for their well being, their kennel is under my deck with a tin roof above it, and completely sheilded from the wind. They will have it in the 50's in there Im sure.

As far as the car, I got my coolant reservoir swapped out with the new one, and plugged the threaded port in the EGR spacer. Aside from the made in China sticker, the reservoir seems every bit as nice as the stocker.

20171109_180800.jpg

20171109_180821.jpg

Tomorrow night I will tackle that breather tube, and then I am on the wait for a catback. Might reuse my Super Turbo mufflers, but I need to make sure they arent rusted out inside first. That is what my high school car had, so now that Ive talked it out, I think that is the new plan. Some custom tails may be in the mix.

Reactions: 4 users