Nick's "lvndpst" Restoration (and Slight Modification) Thread

• Sponsors (?)

Today was possibly (not really) the worst day of my life. I still have the floor boards and the rear wheel wells to do, but I made progress. So many little tight places to get today, it was miserable.

This was as of Friday night.

20180504_220100.jpg

I got it cleaned and scuffed.

20180506_151951.jpg

Applied POR15 to all rusty areas. I decided not to waste it on the clean areas, as it doesnt stick well to a clean surface anyway.

20180506_162955.jpg

And then I top coated the whole area with the same engine enamel I used above the gas tank, as well as on my engine. I will be spraying the trans tunnel to match as well. Decided the whole underside is now going to be dark gray.

20180506_171848.jpg

I even took off the muffler mounts, the bump stop, and fuel filter bracket to scuff and paint them seperately.

20180506_163224.jpg

It was a long day, but I am glad I did it. The axle will be next. What I have left after that can be accessed with the car together. I realized now is the time for torque box reinforcements, so I ordered a set.

Reactions: 6 users
Piddly sht is all Ive had time for lately. Cleaned, sanded and painted my torque box reinforcement plates. For those I asked about welding them in on their cars (pretty sure @Davedacarpainter was one), I see better now how they work and why you bolt them in. After all the painting Ive done, I will only be bolting mine in.

20180515_201733.jpg

I have upper and lower control arms waiting, but still need to clean up and POR 15 the axle. For now I just cleaned and painted my drums, lol.

20180515_203409.jpg

Over the weekend I started my tail light project. That is going on the back burner though, as it was just something I could do inside with the kids playing.

20180513_143416.jpg

So much work to do, so little time!

Reactions: 1 users
Im taking '79 brake lights (housings and all), cutting the lenses down to three lights, making filler plates over the rest of the lense area, to have sequential vertical tails in the end. I have a picture in my head, but we'll see how they turn out. Ive kept the stock housings just in case.

Last edited:
Im taking '79 brake lights (housings and all), cutting the lenses down to three lights, making filler plates over the rest of the lense area, to have sequential vertical tails in the end. I have a picture in my head, but we'll see how they turn out. Ive kept the stock housings just in case.
I think I remember something similar being done. I don't remember who's car it was, or even if it was one of the guys here.

I'll be interested in seeing how you separate the three 'cells' for the three different bulbs.

Ohh Ohh!!! I got a question!!!

It's too late to say anything now, but You just gotta do things the hard way.

Why not just keep the lens intact, and "paint" a divider between the three cells?:cautious:

I'd think for the sake of keeping the three chambers separate, all that will be required after that would be a partition, and THAT would be the easy part. And Lastly........

Where the hell are you gonna find the sequencer?

Ohh Ohh!!! I got a question!!!

It's too late to say anything now, but You just gotta do things the hard way.

Why not just keep the lens intact, and "paint" a divider between the three cells?:cautious:

I'd think for the sake of keeping the three chambers separate, all that will be required after that would be a partition, and THAT would be the easy part. And Lastly........

Where the hell are you gonna find the sequencer?

I am doing exactly that. Painting in between and keeping the outer three cells in tact. I simply cut off the inner reflector cell and the reverse light cell. I will also be shaping the outside edge and painting it body color. The only lenses that will look like lenses are the three vertical brake lights which will also become blinkers. I will make my own small round reverse lights.

I am doing exactly that. Painting in between and keeping the outer three cells in tact. I simply cut off the inner reflector cell and the reverse light cell. I will also be shaping the outside edge and painting it body color. The only lenses that will look like lenses are the three vertical brake lights which will also become blinkers. I will make my own small round reverse lights.
What about the sequencer Jeeves? Whadya gonna do to control that?

What about the sequencer Jeeves? Whadya gonna do to control that?

There are many of them on the market for classic mustangs. The one I plan to try is a halogen version for 64-66 stangs. I dont want to go LED and have to worry about fast blinking BS.

It comes with a housing with dividers between the bulbs. I will just have to trim it to fit, and mold it to the 79 housing.

I learned that valueable lesson again tonight; you get what you pay for. Torque box reinforcements. When you buy the "on sale" house brand, they are all but worthless. At first I just thought the provided bolts were too long, and dug up my own shorter versions.

20180517_205951.jpg

Turns out the backing plate as well as my floor were just caving in before the bolts/nuts felt any sort of tight.

20180517_210746.jpg

I mean, I bet I wasnt hitting 20-30 ft lbs of torque on them and ended up bottoming out the threads on the provided bolts before I realized what was happening. Wouldnt you think that plate would be strong enough NOT to bend so that you could torque those bolts to say 40-50 ft lbs thus holding your torque boxes tightly against the bottom of the car? I mean if the whole thing can give that easily, how much added strength is it really giving your upper torque boxes?

Point to this story is if you buy this style of bolt in reinforcements, do yourself a favor and throw away the cheap long backing plates and cut yourself some thick plates that wont cave in when a skinny kid like me tightens down bolts with a 3/8 ratchet. Now I get to spend more money on thick metal plate and redo these PITAes.

End rant.

Edit: For the record, there are also no torque specs anywhere in the installation instructions. Might be handy to know.

Last edited: