Nick's "lvndpst" Restoration (and Slight Modification) Thread

Yeah my rack is leaking too, not too bad. I just top off the reservoir up when I want to drive it. I have to get down there and just do it. :ack:. I have the new rack on my shelf. Not a fun mod and not that hard.

• Sponsors (?)

Sn95 rack and MM hybrid shaft time?

Solid shaft for sure, not sure which rack yet. Gotta shop around and compare prices. Im not too worried about getting a Termi rack if there is a decent amount of money to be saved staying stock. Removing the rag joint from the shaft is a noticeable improvement in itself, from what I read.

Reactions: 1 users
Good work there Nick!:nice: Looks great.

Its coming along, slowly but surely. I would get things done a lot faster if I didnt keep encountering rust, or gravel dust build up everywhere. Trying to rid the car of both, without spending all my time making it a show car. Thats one thing it will never be.

Reactions: 1 user
Solid shaft for sure, not sure which rack yet. Gotta shop around and compare prices. Im not too worried about getting a Termi rack if there is a decent amount of money to be saved staying stock. Removing the rag joint from the shaft is a noticeable improvement in itself, from what I read.

You don't need to do a termi rack per say. The difference between that and a late model GT rack is negligible on the street so I wouldn't sweat it. I know I went with one, but in hindsight I could have picked up a low-mileage used 04 GT rack for $50 and gone with that and been fine.

I dont ever want things to be easy or boring when I am bolting on new parts... So when removing the driver's side control arm up front, I asked the powers that be to let one of the bolts be seized inside the arm.

The nut came off, but the bolt was not going anywhere. Out came the sawzaw, and 4 blades later I was through it twice. However, I cut a nice slice into the K member on one side. :doh:

So out came the grinder and welder. Since the slice was deep enough to make me question it, I tack welded a piece of a washer on the back side, and then filled the slice on the inside (washer kept me from blowing through it). Of course I ran out of wire before finishing the job. I still need to finish welding around the washer piece on the outside, but the inside is solid and just needs ground smooth. I think I will be buying one of those little mini belt sanders that acts like a chain saw for this job. I want it to be flat as is was before, and not much else will fit in there.

20180625_191806.jpg

20180625_191357.jpg

Some of you may be saying, just buy a new K member... That in itself wouldnt be a huge deal, but like hell I could bolt my old leaking steering rack back to a new K member while also reattaching my cruddy steering shaft. Since we all know money doesnt grow on trees and those two needed pieces are $600, I am simply fixing my fck up and moving on.

Reactions: 3 users
I dont ever want things to be easy or boring when I am bolting on new parts... So when removing the driver's side control arm up front, I asked the powers that be to let one of the bolts be seized inside the arm.

The nut came off, but the bolt was not going anywhere. Out came the sawzaw, and 4 blades later I was through it twice. However, I cut a nice slice into the K member on one side. :doh:

So out came the grinder and welder. Since the slice was deep enough to make me question it, I tack welded a piece of a washer on the back side, and then filled the slice on the inside (washer kept me from blowing through it). Of course I ran out of wire before finishing the job. I still need to finish welding around the washer piece on the outside, but the inside is solid and just needs ground smooth. I think I will be buying one of those little mini belt sanders that acts like a chain saw for this job. I want it to be flat as is was before, and not much else will fit in there.

20180625_191806.jpg

20180625_191357.jpg

Some of you may be saying, just buy a new K member... That in itself wouldnt be a huge deal, but like hell I could bolt my old leaking steering rack back to a new K member while also reattaching my cruddy steering shaft. Since we all know money doesnt grow on trees and those two needed pieces are $600, I am simply fixing my fck up and moving on.
I’d do the same thing.

Allllllrighty then. I have this bish all kinds of welded up and grinded smooth again. I would venture so say its stronger than it was before, but Im happy with as strong as before.

I welded around the washer on the outside, but still have to clean that side and paint it. Look at that "aged" steering rack, isnt she beautiful?

20180626_203802.jpg

The inside is filled and grinded. Needs etching primer. I gapped that area so that I can place a large washer between the bushing of the control arm, and the K member. That way there is no bushing rubbing an uneven surface and causing wear.

20180626_203740.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Little late to the party but couldn't you have used an air hammer for that bolt?

Fresh out of air hammers, but it possibly could have helped. I beat on the fcker with a 4 lb mini sledge and it didnt budge. Heated it, sprayed penetrating oil all around it, etc. Is what it is now. Later in life the K member will get swapped, just cant afford it this summer.

Havent had a chance to finish the car. This morning I spent an hour packing up like the Griswalds so we can go camping for a week. Thats a stroller on top with a ratchet strap, and four bikes on the back. The inside is packed full as well. Should be interesting!

20180630_094929.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Back from "vacation," and allowed a little time in the garage. I was able to tack weld the washer in place so the bushing will have a nice smooth surface, and I dont have to fumble with it during control arm installation. I had the bolt run through while welding, so I know alignment is good. Scuffed and threw some etching primer on it.

20180711_204929.jpg

I noticed my rack was leaking enough to no longer ignore. You can see the residue all over the K member, and this is the box under the car after a week of sitting.

20180711_190734.jpg

So out it came, along with the stock steering shaft.

20180711_205003.jpg

I ended up sticking with a stock rebuilt replacement from LMR, and an MM solid shaft for it. At least I know LMR will stand behind the rack if I have any issues with it in the first year or so, and I am one of the few who likes the light steering feel of a fox. I got a $650 bonus last month, spent $352. My life literally threatened to divorce me, because she now wants to buy a travel trailer for camping, and thought it should all go toward that. "We dont have the same life goals..." Oh the married life, its so full of bliss. We can afford our trailer fine, she just hates any money spent on the Mustang because she gets no direct benefit from it. Apparently a happy husband is not a direct benefit... New rack is here tomorrow, but shaft doesnt arrive until Friday. We'll see what this weekend brings!

:burnout:

Reactions: 4 users
Back from "vacation," and allowed a little time in the garage. I was able to tack weld the washer in place so the bushing will have a nice smooth surface, and I dont have to fumble with it during control arm installation. I had the bolt run through while welding, so I know alignment is good. Scuffed and threw some etching primer on it.

20180711_204929.jpg

I noticed my rack was leaking enough to no longer ignore. You can see the residue all over the K member, and this is the box under the car after a week of sitting.

20180711_190734.jpg

So out it came, along with the stock steering shaft.

20180711_205003.jpg

I ended up sticking with a stock rebuilt replacement from LMR, and an MM solid shaft for it. At least I know LMR will stand behind the rack if I have any issues with it in the first year or so, and I am one of the few who likes the light steering feel of a fox. I got a $650 bonus last month, spent $352. My life literally threatened to divorce me, because she now wants to buy a travel trailer for camping, and thought it should all go toward that. "We dont have the same life goals..." Oh the married life, its so full of bliss. We can afford our trailer fine, she just hates any money spent on the Mustang because she gets no direct benefit from it. Apparently a happy husband is not a direct benefit... New rack is here tomorrow, but shaft doesnt arrive until Friday. We'll see what this weekend brings!

:burnout:
We'll see what this weekend brings!

A pillow and a blanket on the couch?:shrug:

Simple solution would be to explain to the wife how the leaking wrack would render the car unsafe and well isn't the money spend now worth the piece of mind knowing your lovely husband will be safe

Reactions: 1 users