Nick's "lvndpst" Restoration (and Slight Modification) Thread

Since we are on the subject, someone with an LX should put a '94-'98 Cobra front bumper on their car. I may be the only fox guy who thinks this, but I have always loved how the fog light holes stand forward. I think it looks aggressive, kinda in your face, but the roundness toward the bottom doesnt lend to a GT. @Boosted92LX ?

94%20cobra_zps2ecgkktw.jpg

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Its the shipping that kills you on the bumpers. Truck freight and a real PITA.

Found one on amazon...free shipping 175.00....fog light bezels 23.00 each...fog light pair 53.00. The expensive part ( that I don't have ) is the chin spoiler. That dang piece of plastic is around 400.00. That's why everyone uses the mach 1 chin spoiler or go ricer like me.

It's shameful...but I used garage door weatherstrip from Lowe's... I think it was 8 bucks, verses 400. Still looking for a real one though.

Since we are on the subject, someone with an LX should put a '94-'98 Cobra front bumper on their car. I may be the only fox guy who thinks this, but I have always loved how the fog light holes stand forward. I think it looks aggressive, kinda in your face, but the roundness toward the bottom doesnt lend to a GT. @Boosted92LX ?

94%20cobra_zps2ecgkktw.jpg

I dunno, man. I drove a 97 GT for about a year and a half, and I actually like the stock bumper on it better than that style cobra.. all the while my buddies were telling me to put the cobra bumper on it. I guess it looks to darth vaderish to me.:shrug:

I dunno, man. I drove a 97 GT for about a year and a half, and I actually like the stock bumper on it better than that style cobra.. all the while my buddies were telling me to put the cobra bumper on it. I guess it looks to darth vaderish to me.:shrug:

Hmmmmm, Darth Vader? Sounds pretty bad ass to me,man! I have always loved that bumper, but I know its not for everyone. Hell, most fox guys hate sn's all together.

Its the shipping that kills you on the bumpers. Truck freight and a real PITA.

Found one on amazon...free shipping 175.00....fog light bezels 23.00 each...fog light pair 53.00. The expensive part ( that I don't have ) is the chin spoiler. That dang piece of plastic is around 400.00. That's why everyone uses the mach 1 chin spoiler or go ricer like me.

It's shameful...but I used garage door weatherstrip from Lowe's... I think it was 8 bucks, verses 400. Still looking for a real one though.

Yeah, if the one off the wrecked car is warped or torn, I will probably go the same route you did. I dont mind filling scratches, or even fixing some cracks, but I am not a body man, so I can only do so much confidently. There is a guy selling the same as yours on Ebay for $169 with free shipping (probably the same guy you bought from). I should know soon enough, and pull the trigger one way or the other. I honestly cant wait to get started on it. My bumper has bothered me since the day I bought the car.

Reactions: 2 users
Well crap, the local guy I had asked about an '03-'04 bumper came through. He says he has a mint one I can have for $250 less than the '99-'01 I found. Being that my wife and I are aggressively paying off all our debts, I am pretty much forced to choose the $250 savings. I am on the fence, but in the end I do really like the 03-04 style on an aero nose, and the 99-01 on a four eye body. Where I may try to be different than the rest, is my plans for the rear end. I have two different plans in mind, one I am going to attempt with the stock rear bumper, and if that doesnt work out, the second plan will be incorporating an 03-04 rear bumper.

Going to pick up the front bumper on Tuesday, because the wife has the day off so I dont have to drag my kiddos along.

Well I was feeling pretty :poo:ty over the weekend, so I decided to utilize a sick day today when I woke up still achy. While sitting at home, I then decided it was a good day to go get my Cobra bumper. The scuffs are just in the paint, the plastic is 100%. The lip is just a soft rubbery plastic, so I am going to clean it up and give it a light coat of rubberized undercoating to make it look new again. I am pretty pumped to give this a go.

20170227_152542-1_zpszj9s1dpi.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
I'm looking forward to this. I really liked what Scott did. Show us your ideas Nick, it'll be cool.

BTW, if you want to sell that hood scoop you got, I know someone that wants it.:D

I'm looking forward to this. I really liked what Scott did. Show us your ideas Nick, it'll be cool.

BTW, if you want to sell that hood scoop you got, I know someone that wants it.:D

Im kind of thinking of selling it, actually. I think it and this bumper would be too much when put together. But I want to be sure I actually make this bumper work before letting it go. If I cave in and end up just putting a new stock bumper on, then I will definitely be keeping the '83 scoop.

The black trim piece along the bottom needed some help. I started there tonight. Gave her a bath with dish soap after removing it from the bumper. You can see there was plenty of scraping, and a tear to begin with.

20170227_202916_zpsloshisfh.jpg

20170227_202931-1_zpse2oaz1tv.jpg

So far I have sanded 90% of the scrapes off by hand, and filled some deep scratches with black RTV. That should stick and remain nice and flexible. I also cleaned up the cut with a razor, and filled it on both sides with RTV while letting it sit in its natural resting position. We will see if that holds with a little twist test after it cures. If it stands up, then the whole thing will get a very light coat of rubberized undercoating that will serve as giving it a uniform texture, and then finally a coat or two SEM trim black paint.

Here is where it sits as of now, drying. The crack is toward the fore front of the picture, and the line you see that appears to be the crack, is actually a sanded edge of one side of the crack so that it is smooth to the touch after I apply the rubber undercoat.

20170227_215625_zpsivc2uzes.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
The black trim piece along the bottom needed some help. I started there tonight. Gave her a bath with dish soap after removing it from the bumper. You can see there was plenty of scraping, and a tear to begin with.

20170227_202916_zpsloshisfh.jpg

20170227_202931-1_zpse2oaz1tv.jpg

So far I have sanded 90% of the scrapes off by hand, and filled some deep scratches with black RTV. That should stick and remain nice and flexible. I also cleaned up the cut with a razor, and filled it on both sides with RTV while letting it sit in its natural resting position. We will see if that holds with a little twist test after it cures. If it stands up, then the whole thing will get a very light coat of rubberized undercoating that will serve as giving it a uniform texture, and then finally a coat or two SEM trim black paint.

Here is where it sits as of now, drying. The crack is toward the fore front of the picture, and the line you see that appears to be the crack, is actually a sanded edge of one side of the crack so that it is smooth to the touch after I apply the rubber undercoat.

20170227_215625_zpsivc2uzes.jpg
RTV,......Hmmm:thinking:

Where on this planet have you been hiding...........I just wanna Know?

Is Iowa that detached from reality that you've managed to miss the fact that paint wont stick to RTV?:shrug:

Maybe you know something that I don't about using the undercoating over the top of that....I'm watching in earnest.

As for the rest of the bumper,..I'm glad you went that route, hopefully you can make it work..I think you should Leave the rest of the GT stuff on the sides to balance out the lower lines of that bumper though....w/o that, it looks way too nose heavy.

Last edited:
RTV,......Hmmm:thinking:

Where on this planet have you been hiding...........I just wanna Know?

Is Iowa that detached from reality that you've managed to miss the fact that paint wont stick to RTV?:shrug:

Maybe you know something that I don't about using the undercoating over the top of that....I'm watching in earnest.

As for the rest of the bumper,..I'm glad you went that route, hopefully you can make it work..I think you should Leave the rest of the GT stuff on the sides to balance out the lower lines of that bumper though....w/o that, it looks way too nose heavy.

Fully intended to leave the rest of the GT body kit. Just going to change up the rear bumper a bit, cause I hate the square that it is. As far as the RTV, I already sprayed a light coat of undercoating across it, and it laid down just fine. Probably because it just forms a solid rubber coat over the whole thing, rather than "adhere" like paint? We shall see how it goes. To be honest, I am almost considering ditching that little black trim piece all together. I can trim the bumper where it mounts, and you would never really miss it. When I look at silver Cobras, I think its kind weird how it stands out and there is no plastic trim along the bottom of the rest of the car. Kinda like when people put a black billet gas door on a light colored car. Why do you want this random black circle on your car, and in my case, a black line across the bottom of the bumper that just stands out and doesnt flow? On a black car where it blends, then ok, but look at this silver Cobra...

silver%20cobra_zpsmdlxzpgl.jpg

I kinda like how its clean without it, such as this. Again, not a fan of the car as a whole, but I think the front bumper was done well, and looks clean without the black rubber on bottom.

03%20fox_zpsep5yci7z.jpg

@madmike1157 , I just went and sprayed a good solid coat over it of the rubberized undercoating. When I get home tomorrow and its fully cured, I will snap you some pics. I will decide on whether or not to keep it once I am done with the whole bumper and see the final outcome. Looks like we are supposed to be sunny and mid 60's all weekend, so I am going to get out there and get to on Saturday after my son's basketball game.

Well @madmike1157 , not sure what to tell you. I guess the rubberized undercoating doesnt care about no stinkin RTV, cause it covered fine.

20170301_180559_zpsplsjoxpi.jpg

20170301_180801-1_zpslotg35ku.jpg

20170301_180845_zpsysiggtnc.jpg

Now if you look closely, there is a dark spot of fresh coating under the fog light on the right side of the last pic. I am trying to make that cut a little smoother over all. You could see it under the final coat. Im going to give it a couple extra layers there to see if it gets flatter overall. But I like the texture and finish, and the undercoat bends and flexes along with the piece, so it should hold up well enough if I decide to actually use it.

And moving on... Initial bumper cutting has commenced. I have left a lot of extra to begin with. I plan to test fit and cut as I go until I get it just the right length hanging under the trim of the existing bumper.

20170301_183302_zpsw4wolyig.jpg

20170301_193202_zpsfnr6zoku.jpg

Well @madmike1157 , not sure what to tell you. I guess the rubberized undercoating doesnt care about no stinkin RTV, cause it covered fine.

20170301_180559_zpsplsjoxpi.jpg

20170301_180801-1_zpslotg35ku.jpg

20170301_180845_zpsysiggtnc.jpg

Now if you look closely, there is a dark spot of fresh coating under the fog light on the right side of the last pic. I am trying to make that cut a little smoother over all. You could see it under the final coat. Im going to give it a couple extra layers there to see if it gets flatter overall. But I like the texture and finish, and the undercoat bends and flexes along with the piece, so it should hold up well enough if I decide to actually use it.

And moving on... Initial bumper cutting has commenced. I have left a lot of extra to begin with. I plan to test fit and cut as I go until I get it just the right length hanging under the trim of the existing bumper.

20170301_183302_zpsw4wolyig.jpg

20170301_193202_zpsfnr6zoku.jpg
Ok Ok....Looks good to me.

So then,...I'm guessing that that lower is supposed to be glued onto your existing bumper?

Ok Ok....Looks good to me.

So then,...I'm guessing that that lower is supposed to be glued onto your existing bumper?

I am actually going to cut some triangulated "tabs" into the the '03 bumper structure toward the top, and "slits" into the underside of the original bumper. Hard to explain, but I am hoping to force the "tabs" through very tight "slits," and have it hang by the "tabs." I will also add glue to the mix, but I am hoping my idea will help alleviate some of the load bearing that the glue has to endure.