NikwoaC's "Commitment Issues" Engine Build

• Sponsors (?)

At this point I should ask for forgiveness and tell you truely, in the future. When I intend to be a smartas*, I will research the topic thoroughly. All in effort to appear to be a smart version and not the dumb version.:nice::D

So Nik, did you swap out that electrical fan spinning thing-a-ma-jig?

You should invest in a pair of mud-noculars,...it'll help you to see through the convoluted, murky, and otherwise ambiguous inferences made by me and others.
I was referring to nicwoac's nerd alert.
I can usually see through the inferences made by you and others, I kinda like your no bull personality, although your treatment of small furry animals is a little suspect even if it was not intentional.

So Nik, did you swap out that electrical fan spinning thing-a-ma-jig?

I did... but there's more to be done before it's drivable, unfortunately.

@NIKwoaC , welcome back to Stangnet, and the new way we do things. Build threads are now much more full of random off topic banter than they used to be. Some of the newer faces (eh, screen names) are pretty funny dudes though.

LOL. As they should be.

Proof that I drive my junk. This thing is grody.

20170405_073934.jpg

So this is why I tore it apart... The engine was about to munch on intake gasket salad. Glad I saw it when i did. This is after 6 years and maybe 15-20k miles since the engine build.

20170405_074034.jpg
20170405_074001.jpg

Anybody got suggestions to keep this from happening again? What kind of gasket glue do you guys like?

Elmers
But seriously folks
A little rtv around the water jackets and a dab in the corners where the head meets the block and a 1/4 inch trail on the front and back walls, stick a couple dowels or threaded rod to guide the lower on straight, wait 5 minutes or so and slam that sucker together then I go have a cup of coffee, you may reward yourself with a beer or three if you like.
Then I remember I forgot to put the gasket on.

Reactions: 1 user
On a troublesome gasket I'll use a thin coat of permatex super high tack " yellow snot ". I used to use it on the old Chrysler K cars cork gaskets. The stuff is hard to get off after it sets up but it holds well. I use Right Stuff around the water jackets and the valley.

I've had intake gaskets rip in half during disassembly. Only a light coat...its sticky as hell.
974d2122c5511f26ac59d252bf0e009c.jpg

The steel core gaskets seem to do better. That's what I went with 3 years ago and no problems yet. Although, I am finding some oil on top of my timing cover. Got to figure out where that it coming from.

Joe

Reactions: 1 users

20170405_073934.jpg

So this is why I tore it apart... The engine was about to munch on intake gasket salad. Glad I saw it when i did. This is after 6 years and maybe 15-20k miles since the engine build.

20170405_074034.jpg
20170405_074001.jpg

Anybody got suggestions to keep this from happening again? What kind of gasket glue do you guys like?

I always use right stuff around the water ports, i am guessing that is a 1262r gasket, those things always were tough for me, they looked like garbage after minimal time on mine. Ed curtis had cometic make up a intake gasket that matches the 1262r but isnt made out of such a weak material...

http://www.flowtechinduction.com/custom-intake-gaskets-sb-ford-xl/

http://www.flowtechinduction.com/custom-intake-gaskets-sb-ford-xl2/

Reactions: 2 users
Elmers
But seriously folks
A little rtv around the water jackets and a dab in the corners where the head meets the block and a 1/4 inch trail on the front and back walls, stick a couple dowels or threaded rod to guide the lower on straight, wait 5 minutes or so and slam that sucker together then I go have a cup of coffee, you may reward yourself with a beer or three if you like.
Then I remember I forgot to put the gasket on.

Yep, this is exactly the process I use/used. Coffee or beer depends on if it's AM or PM... Usually.

On a troublesome gasket I'll use a thin coat of permatex super high tack " yellow snot ". I used to use it on the old Chrysler K cars cork gaskets. The stuff is hard to get off after it sets up but it holds well. I use Right Stuff around the water jackets and the valley.

I've had intake gaskets rip in half during disassembly. Only a light coat...its sticky as hell.
974d2122c5511f26ac59d252bf0e009c.jpg

Hmm... Interesting. I might look into that.

I always use right stuff around the water ports, i am guessing that is a 1262r gasket, those things always were tough for me, they looked like garbage after minimal time on mine. Ed curtis had cometic make up a intake gasket that matches the 1262r but isnt made out of such a weak material...

http://www.flowtechinduction.com/custom-intake-gaskets-sb-ford-xl/

http://www.flowtechinduction.com/custom-intake-gaskets-sb-ford-xl2/

Yep, 1262R, good eye. Ugh, $30 a piece? Seems a little salty for an intake gasket.

Doing some googling, it looks like TrickFlow sells an alternative to the 1262R, their part number TFS-52400922. They advertise it as produced by Fel-Pro, so it's not clear to me if it's just a rebranded 1262R, or if it's actually something better.

https://www.trickflow.com/parts/tfs-52400922

I also saw this gasket- 1262R5. Slightly thicker than the 1262R, but it sounds like it has different construction for more durability.

http://www.flowtechinduction.com/felpro-sbf-intake-1262r5/

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fel-1262r5

Thoughts?

I havent used any of that stuff so i really have no opinion on it. $30 for each gasket is a little steep but Ed's gotta eat too. Since you are the type of guy who would probably be into this, ill tell you what i did...

I didnt want to buy an off the shelf gasket for my highports and deal with cutting a gasket up every time i have the intake manifold off, dealing with oversized water ports etc... So after telling my engine builder, he suggested calling cometic and seeing what a custom set would run me. So i called cometic up, and they gave me a rough estimate price wise, which seemed more than reasonable for a gasket that was 100% custom for me. I made a paper template, sent it off to them and within a couple weeks they called me to ask what material and thickness i wanted. I want to say the gaskets were like 12 or 15 bucks each, and they fit perfect. I would suggest if you go this route to oval out the holes for where the intake bolts are.

I also made an exhaust template after seeing how good the intake ones came out.

20170405_073934.jpg

20170405_074034.jpg
20170405_074001.jpg

Damn.

Now I'm curious to see what my intake gaskets look like when I pull my intake off. I did them almost 20 years ago when I was a teenager just learning how to work on cars....

Damn.

Now I'm curious to see what my intake gaskets look like when I pull my intake off. I did them almost 20 years ago when I was a teenager just learning how to work on cars....

And you are still at the same skill level all these years.