Nirtous/Tuning question (yes I used search)

bobc83

Jul 31, 2007
Normal,IL
So I'm curious...according to responses on my last post and Diablo themselves, the 'factory hp' tune in the diablo predator will not make changes to the rear-end gear ratio, so you have to use the 'performance tune', no problem because we all like exra power :D My question is, about the timing adjustment. I want to run the 100hp shot on my NX kit with some timing pulled, but I don't want my speedo to be off from the 3.55s and the 'factory hp' tune. After doing some searching of previous threads, people are using a stock tune to spray and some even pull a couple degrees from stock, how far off is the 'performance' tune from diablo compared to the factory tune as far as timing goes. I'm sure I can't be the only one with this tuner and this issue. Thanks in advance for an information.

• Sponsors (?)

I replied in the other thread before I looked into this one, but it's pretty much going to be the same answer.

You don't want to spray with the performance tune, unless you know how much timing advance there is in the tune, and then you adjust for it.

Even if spark advance is set to 0*, there is still a very high chance that your performance tune has bumped the timing to begin with.

You may be able to contact the place where you got your Diablosport from, and ask if they have any knowlege on that. Maybe someone here has some more insight to it than I do, but as I understand it, that is how it works.

NX states you can run their kits with zero timing pulled, but once you get over a 100 shot it is a good idea to pull a degree or two just to be safe. I think there may be a couple of other companies that say you can spray on stock timing, but I can't recall which ones they are.

Either run a stock tune with 8 degrees retard, or go to a dyno shop and get a seperate tune file for your nitrous. You should be doing this already - but make sure you're running 93 octane and if you have a manual trans, a window switch is a must. Otherwise, miss a gear and you'll have a shaker hood.

Either run a stock tune with 8 degrees retard, or go to a dyno shop and get a seperate tune file for your nitrous. You should be doing this already - but make sure you're running 93 octane and if you have a manual trans, a window switch is a must. Otherwise, miss a gear and you'll have a shaker hood.

8* retard?

I think that would make the car run like chit...:shrug:

Agree'd about the 93 octane being a must, aswell as a window switch. Set it for several hundred RPM's before your rev limiter.

It will give the car a bit of a rough idle when not on the juice. That would be a quick do it yourself way to have a nitrous safe tune. IE: go to the track, drop back timing 8* from stock for a 100 shot. Return car to performance tune for drive home.

Me and my bro ran a 150 shot on a 99, sprayed it 3 times a day every day and nothing ever happen. stock tune stock injectors stock timing just bolts on's and a 3.73 and it would stay bumper to bumper, only about half a car leanth behind a 550HP cobra in 2nd,3th,and a little of 4th then let off

so I decided to keep the "Performance" canned tune for my daily street use, and use the factory HP with some parameters changed for spraying, but since I have to send the tune to diablo to change for my gear ratio, they will send it back and I can upload it. I won't mind changing tunes since I will only spray at the track or when I have ample time before spraying. If I get the tune back from Diablo, then change back and forth, would it lose the data and I have to send it back to them or does it save it as the new "factory" tune and be that way permanently I wonder

edit: nope just found out, once factory backup is restored it will delete the custom tune, found it on a Diablo forum, perhaps I'm still not understanding. How could you purchase more than one custom tune from a store online? I guess once they email them to you, you have them forever and just have to reload it if you want to switch back and forth, sounds like too much trouble, maybe a flip chip is in order

How many tunes does the predator hold? I had/have one but never had a custom tune on it and now i have the sniper. What i was always told was that for every 75-100 shot retard the timing 2 degrees. Everyone is gonna have their own opinion on that. Yes once you have the tune you'll always have it unless you delete it. +1 getting a custom dyno tune for it.