Nitrous on crate engine. Help?

• Sponsors (?)

Not knowing anything about NOS could be fatal at least the engine has Forged bottom end allthough Scat would hardly be my choice.A 100 or 150 shouldnt be a problem but any NOS decreases the longevity of any engine..

On cast pistons you can run up to a 125 shot.I ran nitrous for about 13 years on my 289,so i wouldnt say it decreased the engine life.My buddy runs a 175 shot on a junkyard pulled 350 with cast pistons.Although I did my share of damage when i worked for NOS :)

I don't really see the problem with scat stuff. I have a good 400 passes and 200+ of those of 8100 shift points on my scat bottom end. Just did a refreshen and everything in the bottom end was like new?? Hell, I go thru the traps at near 8500rpm and somehow that scat junk survives. lol

100-150hp of nitrous is pretty mild as long as you keep your tune in check. IE timing.

That link he showed had forged pistons, forged crank and h beam rods. It wont even care about a 150hp shot. I'd be more worried about the block than the rotating assembly.

nvm the block comment, I didn't notice it was the boss block. Thought it was stock.

nvm the block comment, I didn't notice it was the boss block. Thought it was stock.

:nice: Yes! They told me that the BOSS block is rated to handle something like 800hp and 1300 ft/lb of torque. i may need to check that and see how close I am to being right.

I am waiting on the aluminum block 427, Im not sure how that block would handle it, better? worse? Dunno.

150 is the most i would go, I just want a little extra shove on her strip runs.

I did:D My quad had 2 1lb bottles, my 94 GMC had a 140 shot and my jet boat has a 200 shot.My 06 GT doesnt have it...............yet:rolleyes:
Sounds like me! I got introduced to the bottle when I bought a universal kit from NOS for my Banshee. I did all the plumbing myself and only ended up using the bottle and the solenoids. I used a tiny Bosch pump, a Holley regulator, bought a small 0-15 lb fuel pressure gauge and used a momentary kill switch to activate it. Once I got it dialed in, it was a rocket. The only problem was the little 2lb bottle dropped it's pressure after a few passes up comp hill, causing the whole thing to go a bit richer than I'd like. I always wanted to add another bottle and use 'em with a "Y" adapter to keep the bottle pressure up, but sold the thing before it got any farther out of hand...

Sounds like me! I got introduced to the bottle when I bought a universal kit from NOS for my Banshee. I did all the plumbing myself and only ended up using the bottle and the solenoids. I used a tiny Bosch pump, a Holley regulator, bought a small 0-15 lb fuel pressure gauge and used a momentary kill switch to activate it. Once I got it dialed in, it was a rocket. The only problem was the little 2lb bottle dropped it's pressure after a few passes up comp hill, causing the whole thing to go a bit richer than I'd like. I always wanted to add another bottle and use 'em with a "Y" adapter to keep the bottle pressure up, but sold the thing before it got any farther out of hand...
I had the 2 bottles on my 89 Banshee with a Trinity 410cc stroker.I took it to Glamis once and the bike scared me.I took the bike off the bottle to Brotherhood raceweay when it was open and it ran high 12's off the bottle.

I had the 2 bottles on my 89 Banshee with a Trinity 410cc stroker.I took it to Glamis once and the bike scared me.I took the bike off the bottle to Brotherhood raceweay when it was open and it ran high 12's off the bottle.

Wow, :eek: Thats faster than I ever intend to go on a quad. My quads are utilities. Old 400 YAMAHA big bears.

I have been told by severaly people that NOS wears an engine out more quickly. Is this true?

If your car is under-geared and converter is too tight, it can help a ton, provided you have traction. On a slower car it can help 2 seconds or more.

Exactly, just depends. If you start at 500hp like he is thinking, its good for a good second though. The majority of the time cars aren't running a loose enough converter anyways. At least not on street cars.

Are the calculators very accurate? The ones I have seen base on HP, BUT a 302 can have 400hp and 350ft/lbs or torque, while a 351 could have the same 400hp BUT 450ft/lb or torque lets say. Now while they are a few lbs different surely wouldnt that extra torque make a difference when they head down the strip? BUT it would be calculated the same, because they both have the same HP.

Sounds like a great bike! Mine had a Jim Dunken motor (JD Racing) and with the bottle it would beat some of his big-inch motors. I originally wanted to build a bigger motor, but they wanted $6K and my motor for a 540cc motor. Since I couldn't afford that, I looked into nitrous before it was really developed ('90) which is why I had to do all my own R&D. Nigel Patrick from Patrick Racing helped me tune it over the phone, and once it was right it was unreal. I really miss the old hill-racing days...

Are the calculators very accurate? The ones I have seen base on HP, BUT a 302 can have 400hp and 350ft/lbs or torque, while a 351 could have the same 400hp BUT 450ft/lb or torque lets say. Now while they are a few lbs different surely wouldnt that extra torque make a difference when they head down the strip? BUT it would be calculated the same, because they both have the same HP.

Yes, they are pretty darn accurate. The extra tq will help the 351 some, but then again those calculators are figuring in the cars having ideal setups too. Gears, converter etc etc.