(Nitto) Drag radials out back, but up front too?

Jason Green

Founding Member
Feb 11, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
I have a friend that wants to purchase Nitto drag radials tommorow (Friday).

He wants to go with 245/50/16 drags all around.

Any input on this? Disadvantages? Can this be done? Will the fronts stick out? How will this effect day to day driving?

• Sponsors (?)

I wouldn't do this on a street car. I know some have had good success with that set up on a road coarse or autocross setting but the sidewall is softer and you have to let the car settle before really attacking the corners from what I have been told. Your better off going with a regular 555 up front IMO.

Yeah,It will be hell when it is real cold out and he hits a puddle!! If he lives in a warm climate he wouldnt have a problem.I've heard of people doing this also.But I rather get autocross slicks then DR's up front!!

ponyboy19 said:
I wouldn't do this on a street car. I know some have had good success with that set up on a road coarse or autocross setting but the sidewall is softer and you have to let the car settle before really attacking the corners from what I have been told. Your better off going with a regular 555 up front IMO.

Tell him not to go with drag radials up front...its to unpredictable and unsafe...he made a good choice about the tires for the rear though :nice:

David

ponyboy19 said:
my thoughts too :nice:

Drag radials are meant ONLY for the drive wheels....and for going fast in a straight line, like a drag race (hence the name "drag radial") It would be very foolish to put drag radials on the front of a rear wheel drive car. Absolutely no benefits......and dangerous.

I have the 450's in 245/50/16 all around, they are a pretty good tire, but too wide of the pony wheel. Mine have been on the car 12,000 mi. and look new. My car was much more predictable in a corner with the BFG comp TA's in 225/55/16. Now it sways badly, I can feel the front jerk when I turn the wheel then 1/2 sec later the rear swings out like I hit some gravel. I swear the car was tight before. I called up the tirerack and told them the sidewalls felt softer and I was not happy. They simply told me the tire is too wide for the rim, thats why it flexes. If you look at the charts, its recommended that that tire is mounted on a 7.5-8.5 inch rim. I thought 1/2" was not a big deal, but it seems I was wrong.