Wheels-Tires Nitto Nt555 R2

Mindseye007

Oct 21, 2020
ontario
Like the title says I bought 2 tires for my 1991 foxbody lx 5.0 picking them up next week and installed too, they are 245 50 16 for my pony rims on the rear I used to run Mickey Thompson 255 50 16 but they wore out quick in the center for some reason. Any one tried these Nitto NT555 R2 tires yet ? And what psi for the highway and city streets do you guys recommend?

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

The mt and nitto will both wear out in the center if you run anywhere close to their recommended pressure. I usually put 20psi into them and they wear much more evenly. Never had an issue running them like that.

I’ve ran both of those tires, and will say without a doubt the mt hooks up so much better. Downside to that is they do wear a good bit quicker than the 555r.

Old school trick to tire pressure in wide tires was to look at the black tire patch when you 'light em up' for a few feet, dark in the middle too much pressure, dark on the outside not enough pressure, the problem was by the time you get them 'just right ' they were worn out and you had to start over :doh:

Reactions: 1 user
The mt and nitto will both wear out in the center if you run anywhere close to their recommended pressure. I usually put 20psi into them and they wear much more evenly. Never had an issue running them like that.

I’ve ran both of those tires, and will say without a doubt the mt hooks up so much better. Downside to that is they do wear a good bit quicker than the 555r.
I'm thinking of running my tires at 22psi for cruising the streets.

ok going to set them for 20Psi ...what is a good tire gauge to get? I have an electric pump that runs off 12 volts or 120 volts from CanadianTire with a digital readout not sure how accurate it is...
The digital readouts on the inflators can be suspect, but some do work just fine.

I use one of those. I like to carry it around in the car to check tire pressure, and it has a valve to bleed off pressure if it’s too high. I’ve confirmed it’s accurate with the gauge on our tire changer.

They make other ones in other brands just like it. That style is the one I like.

The digital readouts on the inflators can be suspect, but some do work just fine.

I use one of those. I like to carry it around in the car to check tire pressure, and it has a valve to bleed off pressure if it’s too high. I’ve confirmed it’s accurate with the gauge on our tire changer.

They make other ones in other brands just like it. That style is the one I like.
Thanks for that info awesome.

I agree the Mickey Thompsons hooked up way better. Then the RII nittos with 21psi 1st hooks pretty good and it now it always chirps 2nd gear.
I put my spare tire back in and my battery is in the trunk it too it seems to ride better with my spare tire back in. But with the Mickey Thompsons and no spare tire it hooked like they were on glue, no spinning and never chirped 2nd it just gets up and goes. Think I might try 25psi with the RII nittos on the street hopefully the centers don't go bald like the Mickey Thompsons did.

Last edited:
I agree the Mickey Thompsons hooked up way better. The RII nittos with 21psi 1st hooks pretty good and it now it always chirps 2nd gear.
I put my spare tire back in and my battery is in the trunk it too it seems to ride better with my spare tire back in. But with the Mickey Thompsons and no spare tire it hooked like they were on glue, no spinning and never chirped 2nd it just gets up and goes. Think I might try 25psi with the RII nittos on the street hopefully the centers don't go bald like the Mickey Thompsons did.
I ran 20psi and the centers still went bald. I run 18psi cold on my et streets now.