no brakes

dads65

Jul 17, 2005
hey guys, i'm new here. i've got a 65 gt, was my grandfathers just acquired it when he died. i'm not a seasoned mechanic by any account, but i'm learning. the wife got in it last night to move it out back, lost all brake pedal hit a tree, pretty good bumper/valence/quarter damage. still crying, but its like something broke or came disconnected at the pedal, no pedal, no feel, just free pedals, any ideas to check when i get home

thanks
brett

:

• Sponsors (?)

I'd have to say master cylinder as well. Just because there's fluid in it doesn't mean it's working.

But if it is fine, then is it still the old single resovoir type? If the slave cylinders have seized, you may have blown a line which results in complete brake failure with the old "jam jars".

yes it is single resevoir, what type linkage connects the pedal and the master cylinder? feels like something possibly broke or disconnected. sad sad day for me i know that for sure, but for my first day online here, i am grateful for the help. thanks

I just walked outside to check mine (I'm at work today). The pushrod is fastened to the the pedal with a clevis pin that is about 5/8 diameter with a cotter-pin retaining it. The first thing you see when you look under the dash is the brake-light switch (mine is black). The clevis is visible just behind this. If the cotter-pin is missing, the clevis could have slipped out.

Edited for proofreading.