No Dash / Tail Lights

Dacon

Nov 6, 2005
I've lost dash illumination, and tail lights (not brake lights, but the running lights in rear when the headlight knob is pulled out.) in my '94 gt. I also can no longer dim my clock. Still have power to headlights, hi beams, fog lights, brake lights, turn signals, hazards, radio, dash warning lights, dome/map/glove box lights etc... Headlight knob all left (turning on dome light) does not make dash or clock brighter. Fuses and bulbs are good.

Replaced the headlight pigtail / connector and headlight switch a year ago. I tried a different headlight switch today and the lights are still out. When I replaced the pigtail last year, I crimped connected + heat shrunk it in, did not solder.

How likely is this to be a loose connection that needs to be soldered? Was told the power runs from battery to the switch then to the lights direct, so if only one item on that switch (both dash / tails illuminate on the same switch setting) is effected, a loose connection on its wire is the main suspect or is there something I'm missing? Not an electric guy, just curious if I'm on the right path, cant solder till wed.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Crimped connections can fail so that's absolutely possible. You already eliminated the switch, so the connections are the next place I'd look. Beyond that, you'd probably want to get yourself a multimeter, a wiring diagram, and become a bit more of an electric guy. If you can solder, you can do that too.

Reactions: 1 user