no heat after heater core job

cobra11182

Founding Member
Oct 19, 2000
Baltimore, MD
I just swapped my heater core, and I am not getting hot air. With the heat all the way on, the air is luke warm at best (in 20 degree weather). No fog or leaking in car, but no heat eithert. I searched this and came up with nothing. IS there some kind of flow restrictor, or heater valve between the pump, heater core, and intake? What could be the problem. Oh yeah, water is at exactly 195 degrees. THanks

• Sponsors (?)

hey man, i replaced mine a few weeks ago and it works like a champ when its like 35+ but any colder than that and its luke warm...i was told its because of the 180* t-stat and the car isnt getting hot enough...i dont know....but it does suck when you cant get any heat when its cold

:shrug: Make sure you got all the air out of the system. What temp stat are you runnin'? If you feel the heater hoses under the hood are they hot? if so, maybe you didn't connect something up in the ducting right or your vacume acuators aren't properly connected. :nice:

so there isnt a heater valve that could have went bad and stopped flow to the heater core? I got the hoses rigfht, and the vacuum lines under the dash.... and I am sure the heater core gets some hot coolant, because the air is significantly hotter that the ambient air, just not nearly as hot as stock. I am running a 195 stat, confirmed by an autometer gauge. anyone got any more ideas?

The heater gets hot coolant all the time no matter what the temp setting is on the heater control. What you need to measure is the temperature rise of the air, 40-60* is probably pretty good at a middle fan speed.

There is supposed to be a flow restrictor in one of the hoses and they sometimes get sideways and block coolant flow. The restrictor is suppossed to be in the larger hose. There was a service note on this with a fix using an extra hose clamp to position and hold the flow restrictor.

My after market heater core has a plastic insert in the large tube of the heater core so I don't need the Ford restrictor.

Good Luck, Don