no interest in 4 eyed stangs?

rockingchair69

Jun 21, 2005
It's seems as if there is almost no aftermarket for early fox bodies 79-85. I'm having major difficulties finding anything for my 84 it seems as if 86 & up are the only cars you can find parts for why is this? I'm wondering are there any differences between an early fox and late model fox aside from the rear ends and fuel injection. My main reason for asking is that I've spent the last few days looking for a big brake kit and they just dont exist for pre 86 cars so could I could use on for an 86 and up for my car or would I have to make any mods? thx

• Sponsors (?)

I too felt this way when I got my 84 stang, but there are lots of folks here and on foureyedpride.com that can give you insight.

From what I was told here, along with what you mentioned the engines were not as strong out of the box as the later fox bodies.

You can put any vrake kit on your car that you can put on an 87 up car. You'll need to swap the struts out with 87+ struts.

I'm not sure what deal is where the 7.5 rear end is concerned but you should be able to get hold of and swap over to an 8.8 without much difficulty if it becomes a problem.

Anything that will fit an 8.8 brakewise will fit the 7.5 that is used in the 85 and down V8 cars and the later 2.3 cars. The axles and brake components are interchangable. Althought you would be money ahead to just swap in an 8.8 from an 86+ for any real performance usage. Now the front brakes should be the same through 86 and are also the same setup used on the 87+ 4cyl cars. So anything that applies to a later 4cyl car such as an SN95 brake swap should apply to your car. And as dagger said, swapping spindles, rotors and calipers from an 87+ V8 car would be a nice upgrade from what you have and also allow you to use any aftermarket stuff that aimed at the later cars. And as far as struts are concerned...you dont have to swap them but the V8 spindle used a thinner pad where the strut mounts so you need to use a spacer or thick washer to take up the extra space. I have done it and it works fine. Many parts store struts are only made in the thick 4cyl version and come supplied with spacers so they can be used on either one.

I had a wrecked 88 turbocoupe when I got my 85, so I just parted it out and swapped the disc 8.8 and front spindles and brakes and bought a Towncar master cylinder. You'll find that there is tons of interchangability between the years.

The '79-'86 cars will interchange with all of the '87-'93 cars. You have to be creative! I swapped a 1986 GT front K-Member, steering rack, spindles, brake booster and proportioning valve into my '79 Cobra. I then was able to purchase brand new '86 parts such as front calipers, pads, brake hoses, master cylinder, inner/outer tie rods, ball joints, bushing kit, etc...etc...etc... EVERYTHING was a direct bolt in (including the K-member.) If I was to do it again, I would have went with the '87-up front suspension as their brakes were 11 inches vs. my 10". My original brakes that I took out were 9".

My 8.8 rearend came out of a '90 LX and was a direct bolt in. I rebuilt it with all new components, including brakes.

My exhaust was purchased for a '90 LX 5-speed. It would not fit until I purchased a double hump crossmember and exhaust hanger kit. Once those were installed, it bolted right up and it's fit was perfect.

Keep asking questions, you'll learn a lot in your quest to improve your 'Stang!

MrKwik said:
Anything that will fit an 8.8 brakewise will fit the 7.5 that is used in the 85 and down V8 cars and the later 2.3 cars. The axles and brake components are interchangable. Althought you would be money ahead to just swap in an 8.8 from an 86+ for any real performance usage. Now the front brakes should be the same through 86 and are also the same setup used on the 87+ 4cyl cars. So anything that applies to a later 4cyl car such as an SN95 brake swap should apply to your car. And as dagger said, swapping spindles, rotors and calipers from an 87+ V8 car would be a nice upgrade from what you have and also allow you to use any aftermarket stuff that aimed at the later cars. And as far as struts are concerned...you dont have to swap them but the V8 spindle used a thinner pad where the strut mounts so you need to use a spacer or thick washer to take up the extra space. I have done it and it works fine. Many parts store struts are only made in the thick 4cyl version and come supplied with spacers so they can be used on either one.

Here is a helpful image...

FordRearEnd.jpg

I've had and still have both a 4-eye and an aero. The 79-86 car just means that you have to know what interchanges. I swapped out my spindles and have everything else for an 87-93 car in my front. Even went with 73mm calipers. Thing stops very well. 8.8 bolted right in, 93 block dropped in, with a double-hump I have 87-93 Hookers with an H and duals...

It all bolted right up.
The parts you will have trouble with are things like the nose, the dew wipes, etc.

Copy, thanks. That's probably why I've not known what it was. I had mine replaced by an auto-glass place the last time the car was painted. I guess they custom cut me a set of new ones.

I hate to hijack, but can you replace dew wipes? without replacing the door or door panel? Mine are jacked and I need to buy new ones. Where can you buy those?

After I finish having mods done to my 88, I am going to take parts of of a 88 mark 7 and slap them on my 84......yup there are lots of interchangeability. gotta love ford for that.

Dew wipes... well... wipe dew when you lower the side windows. Also called window belt moulding.

The repro parts from LMRS uses cheap, thin metal. But you can transfer those over if all you are needing is the rubber. The rubber is dead on.