"No Money" 92 LX Drag Build Thread

"No Money" 93 LX Drag Build Thread

Hi guys,
I've been lurking these forums for years, but finally decided to register and start posting. Thought you guys may be interested in this. A friend and I recently purchased a 93 LX 2.3 auto stang with the intent to build a low budget drag car with parts we have laying around the shop, and whatever we can salvage, buy, sell, and trade. I will be updating this fairly frequently hopefully, so keep checking back, and subscribe if you like!

Picked up car on Sat. 2-27
trella-1.jpg

Got it home and cleaned out the trash
shop2-1.jpg

Swapped out wheels for ones with tires that hold air
whelz-1.jpg

Time for pre gutting weigh in
wayin.jpg

Left Side
lftwait-1.jpg

Right Side
rtwait.jpg

Grand Total= 2801 less upper intake, air conditioner compressor, and alternator. Does this seem correct for a 4 cyl car?

Day 2, 2-28-10, Pulling the engine and trans.
DSC09341.jpg

Right after the shifter cable poked me in the eye and inserted greasy sand into it
DSC09352.jpg

What happens when you mess with my eyeball
claout.jpg

DSC09360.jpg

351W that will be replacing the 2.3 once it is prepped
DSC09348.jpg

All the parts for this project are things that were acquired through buying used, selling and trading other parts, or just stuff that has been accumulated through swap meets and dealings over the years. The goal is to spend as little cash out of pocket as possible. We're taking every part from the car that we are using, and trying to sell or trade them off to get funds for stuff we need to buy to put the car together which are only the bare necessities.

The 351W is from my 86 F-150 that I drove in high school. It was totaled in 2004, but I kept the engine, trans, and rear end for a future project such as this one. It's essentially stock right now with the exception of being bored .030 and the heads were milled a bit when it was rebuilt in 2001. Right now we're just trying to build the car using parts that we have lying around that are free or cheap to install just to get a baseline, and then once we see what she'll do with that, we'll go from there. I currently have a mild Crane cam to slip in there, as well as a Shelby aluminum intake and Holley 650 carb to go on, and a set of cheap shorty headers. We also have an old school paxton sn-60 centrifugal supercharger that will hopefully be going on at some point as well. Really just depends on the condition of it and if we'll need to spend money getting it prepped to run, or if it's ready to go, we'll go ahead and throw it on.

The trans is a C6 that is stock. I have a B&M Holeshot 2400 torque converter for it.

All the parts for this project are things that were acquired through buying used, selling and trading other parts, or just stuff that has been accumulated through swap meets and dealings over the years. The goal is to spend as little cash out of pocket as possible. We're taking every part from the car that we aren't using, and trying to sell or trade them off to get funds for stuff we need to buy to put the car together which are only the bare necessities.

The main goal is to be able to have a consistent low 12/high 11 second 1/4 mile car that is still very streetable.

Financial Statement So Far:

Car purchase: $350
Super Clean Gallon: $7
25lbs Oil Dry: $3.50
Grand Total: $360.50

• Sponsors (?)

2800 seems pretty heavy, my dd lx is 2900.

good luck with the project, my buddy did something similar, kinda, built a 9 second lx for like 3 or 4 Gs.

junkyard 351, put some good heads on it, big cam and a 250hp shot

Thanks guys. Hopefully I'll be able to update you all on everything quite often. I really want to focus on the financial aspect of the build as well because we are really trying to pull this off with NO money haha. If anyone needs any 2.3 parts, interior pieces, or a clean set of 10 holes let me know haha.

Current and Future part needs/concerns:

-Motor mounts (Solid preferably)
-Oil Pan (Possibly, but I'm thinkin the current one may work)
-Rear end (Still sorting this out, I have a couple 9" laying around, but they are all too wide so I'm trying to come up with a couple axles that'd put me near stock fox width or narrower. I can narrow the housing myself)
-Wheels and tires (I have a lead on a set of draglites locally, so we'll see how this pans out, but I'm not sure on their sizes, and they will be 5 lugs)
- Front 5 lug conversion parts (shouldn't have sold that sn-95 parts car :doh: )

Thats not a Reef Blue 93?

You may actually be on to something there.... I never actually looked at the data plate on the car or the year on the title when we bought it the other day, and I noticed that the color seemed a bit off ha. I'll find out tonight tho haha. Thanks for the heads up though. This would probably be a decent piece of information to actually know haha.