No Mufflers

bad98rt

Mar 27, 2006
Indiana
Do any of you guys run no mufflers on your stangs? I currently have spintech mufflers with an X pipe with no cats and it sounds nice but I would like more noise. I was thinking about unblolting the mufflers and running it straight with the x pipe or just straight without the x pipe. It would be easy, because there are no welds and all I have to do is unbolt.
What do you guys think I should as for power? Straight with the X pipe or without teh X pipe.

• Sponsors (?)

Mine come off the headers and just end right after the tranny crossmember. No x or h pipe. It does sound like crap from about 1000 to 3000 rpm. But from there and up it sounds bad ass. Youll lose a some low end torque and gain a little high end hp. Youll probably notice the lack of torque vs. feeling the gain in hp. I wouldnt recommend it on the street, most likely people will point and laugh at you driving around town. My car is a track car only and lives its life from 4 to 6 grand out on the circle track.

Ya know how when you see a ricer with a fart pipe, and everyone goes "man is that annoying"? That's pretty much how the rest of the world feels when they see a Mustang on the street without mufflers....at the track is one thing (still completely unnecessary even when racing) but on the street is silly.

Ya know how when you see a ricer with a fart pipe, and everyone goes "man is that annoying"? That's pretty much how the rest of the world feels when they see a Mustang on the street without mufflers....at the track is one thing (still completely unnecessary even when racing) but on the street is silly.

+1

I feel the same way when i see an obnoixiously loud mustang on the street as i do when i see a ricer with a fart can.

Loud Mustangs were cool to me when i was 16, now i'm more interested in the quality of sound rather than making it sound like the world is coming to an end.

lol, thanks for the advice guys. Whats funny is that I got pulled over when I was 18 in my 70 Chevelle and I got a ticket for a straight pipe ordinance and a noise ordinance. That was from opening up my 3" cutouts and riding first gear thru town. :lol: Maybe I will think twice about unbolting my mufflers on the stang. Might save me money on tickets in the future.

There's a difference between fast loud and just loud. You don't have anywhere near enough motor to make no mufflers sound good. Open exhaust sounds amazing with a serious motor, but definitely not on a stock or mild 302. Whatever you do, do NOT run the car with open shortie headers, it will hurt the motor. There's not many mufflers that are much louder than spintechs. Maybe try some 1 chambers like stated above, but personally I don't really like the sound.

I'm curious on how it will sound with the cam. It should take no more than 20 minutes. When I get time, I'm going unbolt them after the x pipe and let you guys know how it sounds. Maybe even leave a sound clip.

My 88gt has bbk shortys and a o/r h-pipe with no cat-back and its so loud you will be deaf! Spits, pops and backfires like no tomrrow in ever gear too. Its sucks because it waste so much gas.. lose alot of low end torque and when you sit at lights the fumes some inside the car and burns your eyes.