No Mustang, but a 302/347 question

Evening fellas.

I am a Jeep guy. I put in a 302 from a '94 Mustang into the Jeep a few years ago, it was very simple to do with the help of a Ford guy. I am currently having a friend of mine rebuild my motor to a 347 stroker while I am overseas on a contract. He has rebuilt many motors, but all Chevy.

I have searched on here, corral, and basic google... but am having issues on finding out what I can and can not do with this block. I know that pre '93 acc. brackets dont bolt up to this block, what else cant I do as far as Cyclinder heads, upper/lower intakes, cams, pistons, exhaust etc... prices seem to be ALOT cheaper.

I have read a ton on the 347, and they all seem to go WAY off target. So if there is any info that you would like to pass on, that would be great.

He is stripping the block down tonight and will be taking it the machine shop to get it cleaned up and tested and then bored etc...

As for use... plainly to beat the tar out of it. Its mainly for off roading, I will take it to the strip for ****s and giggles once or twice once it is all broken in.

How would a 347 perform with 4.88's btw??

Thanks for the info... :flag:

Eric

• Sponsors (?)

Actually, the 302 block is the same block as the pre-94 block; so are the heads. You can use the pre-94 accessory brackets BUT you have to switch ALL the accessories to pre-94 AND the water pump.

We call the pre-94 parts Fox-body parts or just Fox parts, since the pre-94 chassis is called the Fox-4, or just a Fox-body.

You can use any intake manifold intended for a Fox - you either have to convert to a Fox-style throttle body or purchase an elbow adapter. Cylinder heads are good for 86-95 model years, if I remember right. The important consideration is valve clearance - will the valves hit the piston heads, or will they clear?

As for a camshaft, you want a hydraulic roller camshaft (as opposed to a flat tappet camshaft). Be aware that you will likely have to get a custom tune if you change any of these parts- the 94-95 computer can be sensitive to engine changes.

Cynthar has it right. There's very few things you can do wrong with a 94 block as opposed to a 93 or older. The biggest difference with the engines was simply to do with the air intake assembly. The 94 Mustang had a lower hoodline so the air tract was modified with an elbow that lowers the whole path.

You shouldn't have too many problems with clearance so it doesn't matter which way you go.

As for exhaust, you'll probably have to scope out a custom set of headers for your application as I'm sure they make them.

A well built 347 with 4.88's will be a mule. Nuff Said.

Thanks...

Due to clearance (transfer case and front drive shaft), I am sure I am shafting myself of some power having to go to a Y connector and running down the one side (2.5"), but I have to keep the exhuast and out of the way.

That is great to know about the accessories. I will have to look into getting a new water pump - I assume that would require a new timing cover also, correct?

Thanks for the help!

Eric