no new C4 torque converters available?

AAMCO has my '68 in their garage and for $600.- is pulling the and disassembling the tranny to determine if it needs more than a "soft" rebuild. If that is all it needs it will cost an additional $1100.

They tell me all hard parts needing replacement will be extra including the TQ. They say they cannot even replace the TQ, not available. And it will cost $390 to rebuild.

Cottman over the phone said $1100 total for the rebuild that includes a TQ and a pump. hard parts extra.

AAMCO says they are full of S^&%.

What do you all make of this??

• Sponsors (?)

My local trans. guy said he would pull mine, build it with mod. performance parts, and re-install for $850-$900. He is building me an AOD with Red Line performance parts and a special order torque converter, and doing the R&R, including Lockar cables, for $1800.

Several years ago I went to AAMCO because I had a leaking pan gasket on a turbo 400 behind a 455. They told me the whole trans was shot, including the torque conv. I told them to just replace the gasket, they got real testy. When I got it back it would barely shift. I found the engine end of the vacuum modulator line laying on top of the carb with the air cleaner screwed down on top of it. They left out 4 bellhousing to motor bolts. They put back a 350 dip stick which leaked evey where. Another shop fixed it for me.

When I complained, AAmco said that manager had been transferred. If I could have found a match, there would have been one less AAmco.

Sorry for the rant --- meant to say, 1800 is too much.

Crap! Crap! Crap!

I am thinking when I get the call from AAMCO regarding the results of the $600 tear-down, and they tell me that I need to pay more than $1100.- more, I'll just order a new unit with a TQ and put it in my self.

Crap! Crap! Crap!

Just chalk up to lesson learned. Check TCI out also. For stock car can be less than 1000. I'd print out TCI & PA trans price off of summit and see if you can use it to negotiaea beter price - since your going to get stuck with the $600 regardless.

Just got a call from AAMCO

total price is $1388.- plus tax (No additional $600 charge unless I refuse the rebuild)

this includes a replacement torque converter, a gear set for the pump and a bushing kit.

I told him to do it. They plan to be done for the weekend.