no oil pressure and smoke from exhaust..?

RyanSG

Founding Member
Oct 24, 2002
Allentown, Pa
Hey guys, well i was doin a few highway pulls and all of a sudden my oil pressure goes down and smoke starts pooren outa my exhaust.... SOOOO towed it home and chercked it out. Compression was fine on all 8 cylenders.... So i figurd it was the lower intake, ive had oil and water probs from that b4... So i ripped it off and looked as if there was oil leaking into the intake ports. Put new gaskets and sealers on and went to start it up..... same damn thing, no pressure and smoke.... i checked the filter and everything just cranking it over i get oil comming out of the lines at the turbo and when running the rocker arms fill up... they don't shoot oil all over but you casn tell some is comming out..... i'm gunna see if i can try another guage but it still dosn't explane the smoke.. Anyone run into this? I hope my block ro something isn't cracked.... just can't figure out why there is compression etc if stuffs leaking that bad..... think maybe it's still the lower intake?
I dunno any help woud be nice, i'm honestly thinking of putting everything up for sale soon... getting tired of it :Damnit:

• Sponsors (?)

When I lost oil pressure on the highway, I lugged it home, took it to a shop the next day, and it turned out that I spun #1,#4, bearings, and the oil pump driveshaft was toast. How much did that turbo setup cost ya?

actually not to much, prob about 1200-1400 all said and done, i did it all myself and prob gunna redo some of it this winter clean it up etc. It was runnen great i just don't know WTF happend to it... I hope i didn't blow the bearings out man that would def suck... I was hopeing to not have to pull the motor out (again) but i'll prob end up having to crapola
I do have oil flowing so i know the pump should be ok.... Still don't understand the smoke though....

I dont know how much smoke is coming out of the pipes, or if it is indeed oil smoke. But if it is then oil is getting into the combustion chamber somehow, and that usually means piston rings or valve seals. I hope you figure it out so you can keepin on whoopin a$$ :nice:

only thing is though i should still have oil pressure even if it's leaking through the turbo.... gunna have to take another look at it 2day or 2morow. looks liek the motors gunna have to come out again....

Sounds like instead of oil getting into the ports, coolant also got into the oil pan from the lifter galley, which might have diluted the oil and not make oil pressure. You did change the oil and filter after you took off the lower intake...... right?

yup i did change the oil and it's good that i did cas there was anti-freeze in it like 87stang said. So thats all replaced and i'm going to check it again and drain it etc to see if there still is some. I took the oil line off of the turbo and plugged it started it up and the same thing. no pressure but there wasn't any smoke although i didn';t run it very long only a few seconds (with or without the turbo line on no smoke).... I'm beginning to think one of the bearings may have went although i don't hear the knocking noises that i would think i would hear when the bearings go.... i'm not sure if a cracked block would do this either? although i would think i would loose compression with a cracked block...

RyanSG said:
yup i did change the oil and it's good that i did cas there was anti-freeze in it like 87stang said. So thats all replaced and i'm going to check it again and drain it etc to see if there still is some. I took the oil line off of the turbo and plugged it started it up and the same thing. no pressure but there wasn't any smoke although i didn';t run it very long only a few seconds (with or without the turbo line on no smoke).... I'm beginning to think one of the bearings may have went although i don't hear the knocking noises that i would think i would hear when the bearings go.... i'm not sure if a cracked block would do this either? although i would think i would loose compression with a cracked block...

If it cracked in the main oil gallery near the timing chain,you wouldnt lose compression.Was there any noises coming from the front or the lifters?

it dosn't sound liek anything is out of the ordinary. and i didn't see and major cracks alone the lifter vally. although i didn't take a real good look either, since i figured it was just my lower intake gaskets.... The pump is under 6 months old and it's a high volume so i would think the pump is still good. Just trying to rule everything out i can.... Are their any tell tale signs that the bearings are bad....?

Just go buy a $10 gauge @ local hyd shop or northern tool co Even a air pressure gauge will work so long as it has 1/4" npt threads out the back of the gauge. A 0-100 will work fine then you know FOR sure what the oil pressure really is.

I keep a 2.5" stainless steel gauge liquid filled in my tool box for just that purpose.

Bill

maybe that oil pump driveshaft either broke or came loose... when you put the new pump in, there is a little c clip on the driveshaft to keep it from coming out, did you use this?

yeah the oil pumps fine, i have the relocation kit and pulled a few of the other lines off and just ran the starter and it was pumpen oil like crazy so the pump is good. I just got another sending unit for it and i'm gunna try that 2morrow and see what happens. I think there may have been anti-freeze that got into it when the lower intake blew up. So i'll let you guys know 2morrow hopefully.