No power steering or brakes

Par_009

Apr 5, 2020
Lamar, SC
Hello, I just installed a power steering pump on my 97. I watched a bad video on how to bleed the system and did it wrong. After installing, I jacked up the car and crunk up the car(I know, this is where I messed up.) I turned the wheels from side to side a few times and had no air so I thought I was good to go. Well I had good steering and good brakes and the whine from the pump went away. So I drove it about a mile and then the brakes would go in and out and my power steering went away. I pulled in the drive way and my brakes locked up, I popped the cap on the ps reservoir and it was full of bubbles. This is where I realized I did something wrong. That’s when I did some further research and realized I was suppose to bleed the system with the car off(bad video with misinformation led me down the wrong path.) I jacked it back up and started turning the wheels from side to side to bleed the system with the car off. It’s very hard to turn, also I still have no brakes. Should it be hard to turn with the wheels off the ground? Also should I bleed the hydroboost and if so, which valve do I bleed? Also, should I bleed the brakes next? The final question is, do you guys think my ps pump is still good or did I screw it up? Thanks for any feedback, I’m new to the forum and this is my first post.

• Sponsors (?)

Ok, my car sat for a week and I went out today, jacked up the front and turned the wheels from lock to lock atleast 50 times. Big air bubbles come out every time I turn the wheel but the fluid doesn’t drop any. Also, I can hear the sound of gurgling from the rack when the wheels are turned. After doing this for a while, I crunk the car up and had power steering but the brakes were going in and out. I drove it down the road and once again the power steering went out and the brakes were non existent. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this I would greatly appreciate it.

Par_009,
As far as the brakes go, when I worked on my brakes, and got air in the master cylinder, I had bleed it. I had no brake pressure at all, it just went to the floor. I had to bleed the master cylinder. I connected a short clear line to each of the ports on the side of the master cylinder, and fed them back to the master cylinder. Open both bleed valves, leave them open and pump the brakes slowly. Make sure the fluid level is good. If there's air in the system, that'll get it out. When the air is out, you won't see any more air bubbles coming through the clear hose. Tighten both bleed valves. After I did that, I had good brake pressure. Of course you will need to bleed the brakes as well.

Par_009,
Seems like you blead the power steering correct. I got this from the manual. Sorry, it's sideways.

Attachments

• PS Pump.jpg
    PS Pump.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
I don't know how you will bleed your ps system with the car not running except by using a vacuum pump (you may be able to rent or borrow one at the auto parts store) OR remove the belt and spin the pump by hand in the correct direction (this will take some time). The situation you have, unfortunately, is if the new pump is starved for fluid very long, it will burn up. Question: did you put on a new ps reservoir with the pump or use the old? If you used the old, did you ensure all the orifices were open AND all the hoses look in good condition and are not kinked or crushed? The reason I ask is, you may be seeing the reason for the old pump going away---it may have been starved for fluid.

After you are certain the ps fluid has a clear flow path, either bleed the system with a vacuum pump, remove the belt and do it by hand, or go back and bleed the power steering system again with the engine running...note the ^^^^photo in willingham's post^^^^. Sometimes it takes more than once. NOTE: if you are doing it with the engine running, have a friend help you by adding fluid to the ps pump once it starts really moving fluid---it should initially suck the level down pretty quickly--do not let it go dry.

As for bleeding your brakes...if you have not removed the master cylinder, cracked any brake line nuts, or run the master cylinder dry for some reason, you do not need to bleed the brakes. Your concern is with getting the air out of the hydroboost, which is supplied (as you know) by the ps system and will bleed with the ps system.

Last edited: