No Side Airbags for Verts???

spectravp

Apr 29, 2004
NY
I know this is a boring topic; no nearly as exctiting as "06 Cobra SPOTTED!", but.... I heard a rumor that there may not be side air bags on the Mustang Convertibles. Does anyone know this to be fact, fiction or, if it's just pure speculation, any reason, mechanical or otherwise, why they may not be able to provide side air bags on a vert?

• Sponsors (?)

There are 2 types of side air bags.

1. in the seats - protects the side of your body

2. in the roof - protects your head in side impacts and roll overs.

I belive that the side air bag option on the 05 Stang Coupe is the 2nd type. So it woudl by pretty obvious why you won't be able to get them on the convertible.

351CJ said:
There are 2 types of side air bags.

1. in the seats - protects the side of your body

2. in the roof - protects your head in side impacts and roll overs.

I belive that the side air bag option on the 05 Stang Coupe is the 2nd type. So it woudl by pretty obvious why you won't be able to get them on the convertible.

I suppose it would be obvious... it is now... but I didn't know which type of side airbag they were using. Thanks for the clarification! :nice:

To clarify further, the side impact airbags in the Mustang are NOT in the roof, they're in the seats. "43A Front Seat Side-Mounted Air Bags". You can see the airbag tags on the seats in some of the preproduction photographs.

I do not know why they would not be an option on the convertible, but then again the order guide is not out for the convertibles, so I don't know for sure that it won't be an option.

Dave

HairyCanary said:
To clarify further, the side impact airbags in the Mustang are NOT in the roof, they're in the seats. "43A Front Seat Side-Mounted Air Bags". You can see the airbag tags on the seats in some of the preproduction photographs.

I do not know why they would not be an option on the convertible, but then again the order guide is not out for the convertibles, so I don't know for sure that it won't be an option.

Dave

Can you direct me to a photo. I've looked at a number of interior shots and have not seen any evidence of an airbag in the seat. IIRC wherever there is an airbag, there must be an "airbag" label near it.

351CJ said:
Can you direct me to a photo. I've looked at a number of interior shots and have not seen any evidence of an airbag in the seat. IIRC wherever there is an airbag, there must be an "airbag" label near it.
You're right that it doesn't show up often, for some reason I thought I'd seen it multiple times, but the only picture I can come up with on the spot is the eBay shot:

post-7-1081006560.jpg

I'll take a pic of mine when it shows up :D.

Dave

HairyCanary said:
You're right that it doesn't show up often, for some reason I thought I'd seen it multiple times, but the only picture I can come up with on the spot is the eBay shot:

post-7-1081006560.jpg

I'll take a pic of mine when it shows up :D.

Dave

First time I've seen this photo. Not only did I miss this photo, but I missed the fake brick carpet option on the 05 too. :rlaugh:

If the airbags are in the seats, it doesn't make much sense that the vert would not have side airbags, unless there is a problem with the side airbags and the lack of a 'B' pillar on the vert.

Some guy a while back, was actually auctioning off a whole slew of 2005 Mustang seats on ebay, dunno how he even got them, never replied to my e-mail when asked how he got them, but he was an honest ebay guy with over 2000 feedback I think it was.

Just wondering, when the airbag blows does it blow the whole stiching on the side of the seat, or is the velcro, or what? I mean I bet that would be a pretty expensive airbag to replace if they have to restich the seat too. :shrug:

03 SVT VERT said:
Just wondering, when the airbag blows does it blow the whole stiching on the side of the seat, or is the velcro, or what? I mean I bet that would be a pretty expensive airbag to replace if they have to restich the seat too. :shrug:
They probably build in a weakened seam for it to blow out -- or it may be that the fabric is no match for the strength of the airbag anyway.

Why are you worried about replacement cost? I would expect that anything serious enough to blow the side airbag is likely to total the car, or at least cost enough to fix that the airbag replacement cost would be a pittance in comparison.

Dave

Not really, I can deal with $500 damage on the side no problem, heck I could fix it in the shop. But, airbags are $1,000 up to fix, and I bet those are atleast $1,500. That could easily double the price of side damage.

I think what hairycanary is getting at is, to hell with the cost, it saved your life. And, any impact strong enough to cause the airbag to inflate, well, thank god for insurance. Who cares what something like that costs? If it saved my life, I could care less what it costs. I'd rather live and be broke than die knowing my wife won't have to spend too much money fixing the airbag. She can afford the upgraded coffin cause we saved on the airbag. I took economics...

They use breakaway stitching.

For clarification, I test airbags for a variety of automotive manufacturers and have worked several reconstructed crashes. The impact required to set off a side airbag is usually enough to total a car.These things are for T-bone situations which usually bend the frame and make lining up body panels and doors a PITA, much less getting the car to drive staight again. A side swipe , ie $500 damage, will not typically trigger them.