No Start Problem... Need Some Help

Smegma

Founding Member
Feb 20, 2001
College Station TX
Problem started last night when my car left me stranded on the side of the freeway. I was in heavy traffic when my cars idle progressivly got worse and finally died. I continued to try and start the car and it would run for short time lengths at vary low choppy idles. I got up this morning and checked the coil checked fuel pressure at the fuel rail, checked the fuel filter and they all seem to be fine. Fuel pump has been replaced within the last year to year and a half. The car acts like the timing is almost out or soemthing... Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks for your time.

• Sponsors (?)

have you checked the IAC motor. it probably sounds stupid coming from someone with a car like mine. but ive had problems similar to that and replaced the IAC motor and it runs fine. just a suggestion

ECU5.0 said:
have you checked the IAC motor. it probably sounds stupid coming from someone with a car like mine. but ive had problems similar to that and replaced the IAC motor and it runs fine. just a suggestion

well that doesn't sound stupid at all but the problem is when I say it starts... It wont even stay running... it will just BARELY hit afew cylinders and keep the motor turning over for just a seconds is that what yours was doing too? or was yours just idleing ruff? Thanks for the resposnse

mine would surge really bad and than idle real rough and cut off. it would run a for a little bit...maybe 30 seconds if i kept giving it gas. how about vacuum leaks...have you checked for any of those. that would usually make your car rev up and than cut off.

Hi,

Mine did that and it was the TFI ignition module (takes a special wrench to replace). Try reading the codes and it will tell you for sure. Mine would start and not run, however if you held the key in the start position just where the starter doesn't engage it would continue to run.

Good Luck, Don

HA! HA!
What a user ID! Half the people on this board dont even know what smegma is!
Hilarious!

Back to business. Definately get a code reader if you have checked the basics. I would pull the dist cap to make sure the timing chain is still good.