no throaty sound with new 40 series flows

Mine were loud when i put them on but after driving to Florida with the car they Are 10 times louder then when i got them. And i just sealed everything up and they are loud as hell.. Louder now with the dumps.

• Sponsors (?)

All mufflers "break" in after use ... even the factory mufflers.

Carbon build up adds pressure ... exhaust volume becomes more concentrated or channeled in a muffler.
MAC mufflers are conciderably smaller (volume) than a factory piece. The alloy used as well as the size creates the aggressive sound.

Heat distortion contributes as well ... it weakens the aluminuized wall in the flow path areas. (The "drone" becomes more noticeable)

To the original poster: your factory mid-pipe is your deadener right now .. the mufflers will get louder a bit though.

For the record: a decent hi-flow-cat'd-mid-pipe will sound throaty as well :nice:

Darkwriter77 said:
I dunno. The physics and such of it just don't make sense. The baffles would have to physically change shape for them to "break in," and I just don't see that being a realistic possibility - those delta shapes are welded top and bottom to the casing, so there's really nowhere for them to flex/bend.

Only theories I have to explain a sound change on Flows:
- Computer re-learning the air/fuel mix and such, but only if you disconnect the battery at the same time as the exhaust change;
- Minor exhaust leaks at the flanges develop as the connections settle into place over bumps, turns, and heat cycles;
- The existence of that obnoxious Flowmaster drone at most RPM's becomes more and more impossible to deny after the initial "newness" of the exhaust wears off, and one is faced with a subconcious decision to either love it or hate it.

Either way, I figure the side-exit Flows will be louder than the average cat-back setup, but again, you'll have clearance problems and you might be bothered by the fumes wafting up to through the windows at stoplights. (On mine, I found it quite enjoyable. Carbon monoxide and vehicle emissions make for a groooooovy high... :D )

I agree with you, the amount of heat that would have to be applied to the mufflers would have to be intense to deform the inside of the case thus changing the flowpath inside. Like I have said I put my Flows on in 2000, so 5 years later my car still sounds exactly the same, I guess I am going to have to wait a few more years for mine to "break in". I have FMS Headers, a Bassani Cat X Pipe, and 2 Chambered flows Cat back, my car sounds very good.

gungfusemaj said:
It takes a month or 2 depending on how much you use your pony...the heat makes "changes" to the medal over time... :flame:

you sir are a moron.. not to flame.. but only mufflers with packing have a break in period.. there is no packing in a flowmaster to break -in.. there are just baffles the direct the exhaust gases threw the muffler.. to the exit.. the baffles and the number of chambers in the muffler are what make the sound of the muffler.. as a single chamber flow will be louder then a 2 chamber or a 3 chamber.. and yes the 40 series is loud but, which 40 series are you talking about.. the 40 series delta flows or the new flowmaster super 40s.. which ones do you have.. the delta flows are the normal silver alumized color.. as a super 40 flowmaster is a black.. ugly son-of-a bit#$.. and the super 40 are the ones that are quite loud.. but then again i like x-pipes that go to spintechs..

also.. if you are goign threw the stock catted pos h-pie.. the car with only be a little louder.. what size mufflers are you running? the stock 2.25" or have you made the jump up to 2.5" mufflers and tailpipes..

if you want loud.. off road h-pipe 2.5" then a 2.5" set of super 40s welded to 2.5" tail pipes

cevtv said:
You guys are a riot with all your metallurgical theories.................It sounds completely psychological to me.......:rolleyes:

what if you wait long enough for some rust to eat through the new mufflers?

Honestly, my car is really, really loud but I don't have cats.

Well.....Heres the way I noted. My dad drove the car the day they were put on and then me and I drove to go out with a friend. The next time my dad was in the car was like a month later....He said it got louder, same with my friend. Yes I understand how it makes no sense for them to get louder, but they just did. Not alot louder, but it was a difference that was noticed.

Dean85GT said:
Well.....Heres the way I noted. My dad drove the car the day they were put on and then me and I drove to go out with a friend. The next time my dad was in the car was like a month later....He said it got louder, same with my friend. Yes I understand how it makes no sense for them to get louder, but they just did. Not alot louder, but it was a difference that was noticed.

Which one of you went to go out with a friend, "me or I"? If they were not around your car for a month, how could they even notice if it was louder unless it was such a drastic change, in which you say its not?

It's funny how 80% of us hear the change ... and 20% haven't.
I think I'll go with the 80 .... seems like better odds than Vegas. :nice:

... but it doesn't happen because mufflers are made of solid 3" titanium and do not change shape from heat caused by continuous fuel burn and heated carbon ... okay.

Darkwriter77 said:
I'd say whatever it sounds like now is what it's gonna sound like for good ... until they rust out. :)

^^Thats probably the most retarded thing I've ever heard anyone say.

Give it a month, they will sound MUCH better than they sound right now.

I put a Flowmaster 50-series cat-back on my 95 Mustang GT and when I started it up at the exhaust shop, it sounded exactly like it did stock, if not quieter. After a week it started to break in and sound better, and after another week it sounded even better, and a month later it started sounding really really good.

(i know how you feel, i was so disapointed when I pulled out of the exhaust shop with my car sounding as quiet as it was before, having spent $400)

I put my Delta Flows on my stock H-pipe and it sounded ten times better and twice as loud as before. THEN when I put my offroad H on and dumped them it sounded WAY badass! :nice:

When I bought my 'stang it had stock exhaust to the mufflers. The mufflers were Flowmaster single chamber 40s - with dumps before the rear axle.... the thing was loud as hell!!
I had fun setting off car alarms in the malls :D

I change the dumps to full pipes with turn-downs and the noise was much reduced. Deep throaty, but not illegally loud. Then I added Ford Racing shorty headers and Magnaflow hi-flo cats.... What wonderful music she produces!!! :nice:
The volume seemed slightly louder, but the deep throaty rumble seem to get deeper and meaner.

I would suggest getting headers and hi-flow cats and let it rip!!! The only thing I might do is replace the turndowns with straight exhaust.

greenstang1313 said:
^^Thats probably the most retarded thing I've ever heard anyone say.

Give it a month, they will sound MUCH better than they sound right now.

I put a Flowmaster 50-series cat-back on my 95 Mustang GT and when I started it up at the exhaust shop, it sounded exactly like it did stock, if not quieter. After a week it started to break in and sound better, and after another week it sounded even better, and a month later it started sounding really really good.

(i know how you feel, i was so disapointed when I pulled out of the exhaust shop with my car sounding as quiet as it was before, having spent $400)

Flowmasters have NOTHING inside them that are going to break in! It is a welded case with 2 or 3 Chambers inside with NO Packing whatsoever! Unless you have little Gremlins inside your mufflers that fire up a blowtorch and are burning holes through the Chambers, then your sound is NOT changing!