Noise Diagnosis -- Rear shocks bad??

BlackenedSVT

Jan 18, 2004
New Jersey
On my 2002 GT with 65,000 miles, I would say in the last 5,000 miles that i've driven the car, there has been this squeeking noise coming from the rear. sounds like the driver rear, more pronounced. When i push down on the trunk, the car shakes all over the place, but no noise can be heard. But when i go over bumps, even very little ones, i can hear the rear squeeking away.

The noise almost sounds like that *BLOOP* noise you can do with your mouth when you flick your cheek. Those of you talented enough to have this skill, know what I'm talking about :rlaugh: thats the bast way to describe it

Anyway, im guessing since my car has been lowered now for almost 30k miles...my rear shocks must be going bad. I installed Aftermarket Tokico front struts when i lowered my car (that i got from a friend) but my rears have been always stock.

What do you all think?

time to change the shocks?

If it is the shocks? Should i get 4 all around? or just do the rear?

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure what kind of "noise" shocks make when they go bad, but the mounting bushings can/will squeek with higher mileage.

If you jounce the rear, does the car stop moving when it returns to normal height or continue bouncing? The car should stop once returned to normal height. If not, then yes your shocks are bad.

EDIT: I went through your post again, and if what you said matched what I also described, your shocks are gone. Upgrade all 4.

Probably the shocks. They sound like they are bottoming out over bumps. Time for new ones.

Just do the rear if you aren't having issue in the front but most will recommend going with new struts up front too. Depends on your finances.

finances = broke at the moment since i just bought new front tie rods for it and new 18" FR500 wheels all around. Performing an alignment myself thankfully. But can't afford the extra cost front struts would bring. I'll probably upgrade the rear to bilstiens. Not sure yet.

And yes if i bounce the trunk with 3 good pushes i can watch the entire car move for like 5 seconds after im done pushing it like its a tub of fat. LOL