Noise from Bell housing

JTGrant

Aug 2, 2005
GA
I noticed this while underneath the car. At first I thought the noise was coming from the engine. Now I realize that the niose is coming from the bell housing. Like a knocking or tapping noise. Took the stethescope to the bell housing and you can hear it. You can't here it though the engine. The noise does not change with the clutch in or out. The noise goes away with RPM. THe noise is not always there. Any ideas? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Not to discount other responses, but my bell housing noise was due to 2 missing bolts on the bottom of the the housing. The missing bolts helped secure the cover, and it made a metallic rattling noise that went away with throttle. I don't recall the bolt size.

The 2 missing bolts are 10mm dia., 1.5mm thread, and no longer than 3/4". You can get them at any Ford dealership or hardware store(Home Depot, etc.).

JTGrant said:
they were 13mm not 10mm
the 10mm is the thread, not the size of the head of the bolt.

you said this was the noise, as stated in the above posts. i quoted them for convienience.

covertaxn said:
Not to discount other responses, but my bell housing noise was due to 2 missing bolts on the bottom of the the housing. The missing bolts helped secure the cover, and it made a metallic rattling noise that went away with throttle. I don't recall the bolt size.

JTGrant said:
yeah that's the noise, anyone have other threads or websites that I can check out? I have ran a search but found nothing.

going by this post:

JTGrant said:
It's not a rattle more like a tap or knock

i think i have the same tap or knock sound. it is going in next week to get some warranty work done. this is on the list. i hear a tap or knock sound (i am not the most descriptive person in the world) coming from somewhere in the engine/tranny area. i never got a stethoscope out like you, but i know its comimg from that area. it increases with rpm/load. i can hear it best in 3rd or 4th gear, because thats when the exhaust is quieter. around 2200-2500 RPM is the most noticable to me. does this sound like what you have?

I can't hear it while the car is moving. Only at idle. It goes away with RPM. I can hear it through the wheel well sometimes but mostly from underneath the car. Can you hear yours at idle and stationary?

JTGrant said:
I noticed this while underneath the car. At first I thought the noise was coming from the engine. Now I realize that the niose is coming from the bell housing. Like a knocking or tapping noise. Took the stethescope to the bell housing and you can hear it. You can't here it though the engine. The noise does not change with the clutch in or out. The noise goes away with RPM. THe noise is not always there. Any ideas? :shrug:

I know the problem - FORD left off 2 bolts on the tranny cover. put the 2 bolts back in and the noise is gone.