Noise from front driver side wheel area

JJHstang

5 Year Member
Sep 12, 2018
Fort Worth, TX
I know this is a shot in the dark but looking for some suggestions.
My 71 Mach1 yesterday started making a noise which seems to be coming from the driver side front wheel area. I have not pulled the wheel off yet, need to when I get time.
Not that it makes a difference but I have the Ford Motor Co hubcaps with silver rings.
First I noticed a soft squeal sound when turning a slight corner like when it is hot and tires on pavement but this is quieter and not hot outside. Then after driving it 6 miles to car show, setting for 4 hrs. Driving home I started to hear a soft thumping and then a rattle like something was loose and rolling around (Hard to explain but best I can). It made the sound at all speeds. The fastest I got was 40 mp.
Note: I have been loosing fluid from the master cylinder 2 section reservoir from somewhere and needing to add fluid every so often but it was full.
What should I be looking for when I pull the tire off?

• Sponsors (?)

Before you pull the wheel, but after the wheel blocks are in place, jack it up (and use a jack stand) enough to check the wheel bearings. Also check for play in the steering parts, ball joints and strut rod bushings.
I bet you also have a wheel cylinder leaking, although there are plenty of other places brake fluid could leak. Between the two most likely conditions, it needs fixed before going farther than a shop. Definitely no road trips until it’s fixed.

Well I feel a little embarrassed because as far as the noise. I had this happen before. I jacked up the car just enough so the tire was off the ground. Took off the ring and hub cap. There it was the wheel bearing cap had come loose and banging around inside the hub cap.:rolleyes:
Spun the tire and no noise. Sorry I asked. I also pulled on the tire side to side and right to left and too and bottom. Not much play. Last year I had the upper control arms, spring perches and rod bushings replaced.
As far as the brake fluid I need to take my floor jack and get underneath. After driving the 6 miles, leaving it set during the car show, driving it 6 miles back the brake fluid level looked good. Maybe a little low but hard to tell. As I said need to do more checking and watching it. If I can’t find going to take it in soon.like mentioned don’t want to fool with brakes going out.

Thanks again for all your replies.

Well I feel a little embarrassed because as far as the noise. I had this happen before. I jacked up the car just enough so the tire was off the ground. Took off the ring and hub cap. There it was the wheel bearing cap had come loose and banging around inside the hub cap.:rolleyes:
Spun the tire and no noise. Sorry I asked. I also pulled on the tire side to side and right to left and too and bottom. Not much play. Last year I had the upper control arms, spring perches and rod bushings replaced.
As far as the brake fluid I need to take my floor jack and get underneath. After driving the 6 miles, leaving it set during the car show, driving it 6 miles back the brake fluid level looked good. Maybe a little low but hard to tell. As I said need to do more checking and watching it. If I can’t find going to take it in soon.like mentioned don’t want to fool with brakes going out.

Thanks again for all your replies.
I’m very glad you are keeping the car safe, and the driver, too.