noise from radiator fan.....is this a common problem?

03stangGTSC

Feb 24, 2008
OK, mine's a 2003 GT. The radiator fan makes a noise whenever it is running, like the blades are hitting something. OF course, its only when the fan kicks on. I looked and didnt find anything that looked out of place. There is no history of damage on the front end, the plastic framework around the fan blades is all intact and not pushed into the path of the blades, I cant find anything that would be hitting the blades when they spin. But something is definitely going on in there. Is this an issue that anyone has heard of before?

• Sponsors (?)

Fans are usually one of the things that don't have issues. The stocker is a very good set up for most. Pull it all apart and spin it by hand. Sounds like a bad bearing and its causing wobble. Very possible just not common.

Dont know if I would be able to tell this way, but I thought of the wobbling too. I tried to ppush on the fan blades, to see if there was any wobbling present, and the fan is solid. It doesnt wobble at all. The last time I came across something like this, it was in a friend's Honda and I did replace the fan then because the old one was shot. But mine doesnt move at all in a way that it isnt supposed to, from what I can tell. Guess I am going to have to take it out this weekend and see what I find.

Also, I just got my A/C running again. Before the A/C was working, the radiator fan would only come on once the temp got to the right point. But today was the first day I used the a/c,. and with it on the fan kicks on any time that I am at idle for more than a few seconds. This may or may not be normal since it's so hot outside, but it does it even with the temp guage still down well below normal operating temp. Is this a normal thing? I expect the fan to be needed more, but it just seems like it comes on too frequently. Any thoughts?

OK, it would seem that I have a larger problem at work here.

First, the rad fan kicks on after a little bit of idling when the A/C is on, not only when at operating temp but also when the car is still warming up.

Second, there were two times yesterday when I was driving, with a/c on, that the temp rose higher than it's normal spot. At one point it was 3/4 of the way up the guage. I had to pull off the road and kick the heater on because I didnt know if it would keep climbing or not. But both times it did this, the rest of the drive it was right at normal temp.

Third, while this was going on with the temp rising, the a/c was blowing warm air. When temp was back to normal, it was blowing cool air. When I recharged the system the other day, I recharged to about 110 psi with the engine off, in the middle of the day when it is about 98 degrees outside. So it had enough refrigerant to run normally.

Any thoughts?

nope, not losing any coolant and no blown head gaskets....oil has no water or coolant in it.

OK, it seems that the higher temps are only when I am in stop-and-go driving. Once I am driving without any stops, there is no issue--temp is normal and a/c blows cold. It may be because of the really hot temps outside, combined with the extra strain of the a/c on the motor....I am wondering, is there a temp switch on the a/c system that will shut it off if the engine temp hits a certain point? The only time the a/c blew hot was when the temp was higher than normal. The temp never got to the red, but it did get higher than it ever has since I have owned this car. Today, I drove home from work and had no problems at all. This weekend I think I am gonna do a flush and fill just in case, it certainly couldnt hurt anything.

Havent replaced it yet but now I think I have to...on the way home from work, I was in stop-and-go traffic again and the temp was rising. It seems as if the fan doesnt come on at all now. I found a parking lot and shut it down before the engine could overheat. Once it cooled off I got it home, and with no traffic the temp stayed at normal. Good thing it was a very short distance to get home from there....

Something else--once again, when the temp started climbing past the normal spot, the a/c would only blow warm air. Seems like there's a temp switch or something built into the a/c system. So, this weekend I will have to pull the fan off and see what I am dealing with. If anyone has any thoughts, please shoot them my way, thanks.

ok, pulled the fan and two things are wrong with it. First, one of the blades was broken almost all the way off, and the motor is also very stiff and hard to turn. So, since I need the fan as well I have to wait until Monday at the earliest to get it fixed since no one stocks the part around here.

The 50 amp fuse was also blown, I think because of the drain of trying to spin that fan with the motor being shot like it is. So that's been replaced.....and as soon as I can get my hands on a fan assembly I will update.