Noise from transmission!

pagz

Jun 2, 2005
Hello everyone. I'm hoping someone can help diagnose my transmission (T5). I had my stang up on a lift today, retightning my exhaust. I had the stang running while I was checking for exhaust leaks, and I notice some rumbling coming from my tranny. The noises are taking place right behind the bellhousing. It kind of sound like a couple of nuts twirling around in there. What could it be? Can it be fixed, or should I start looking into a new transmission? Thanks.

Pedro

• Sponsors (?)

I am guessing it was in neutral with the engine running? If that is the case it's dificult to say but maby you might want to look into the berring retainer on the front of the tranny as well as the pilot berring and clutch assmebly. I would hate it for you but it could be in the gears themselves. It's not a good sign I can say that.

Thanks for the reply. ok...since i just changed the pilot bearing, clutch and bearing, flwheel about 3 months ago, i take it it's the gears......
so now i should start looking into a new transmission...what you guys suggest?

if you can't hear it from inside the car I wouldn't worry about it, the gears are going to make some noise. I would drive it until you lose a gear and then worry about it. But if you really are concerned and have money to throw around I would look at a rebuild kit from www.ddperformance.com, or possible a tremec