Noisey rockers

I got my AFR heads on yesterday and let it run for about 15 minutes. This morning I got up and took the valve covers off and retorque the head bolts and readjusted the rockers. I have 1.6 roller rockers. I made sure the lifter was on the flat side of cam, tighten the nut till the pushrod would just barely turn then tighten 1/4 turn. My rockers sound like a sewing machine now which they didn't on the 66-289 heads. Is this sound normal? I took the car for a ride and them heads made a big difference especially in second gear. It was like no drop off in power. I shut it down before I hit third. I was going too fast in a 45 mph zone.Thanks,Tony

• Sponsors (?)

Is your valve train adjustable, non-adjustable, or solid? If it's adjustable then I suggest that you adjust them while the engine is running. Get a pair of old valve covers and cut a hole down the middle of them. The point of this is to prevent oil from spraying all over the place while the engine is running. Place the valve covers on and start the car. Now lossen one of the roller rocker nuts until it starts to chatter, then tighten it back up until the noise stops, then do 1/4 turn extra. Do this to all the roller rockers. If it's non-adjustable, then all you do is tighten them down to a torque spec (it may differ on yours, but mine was 24 ft-lbs) while the lifter is on the flat part of the cam lobe. If it's solid, then you need to find out how much clearence you need to have between your roller rocker and the top of the valve (once you have this number, use a feeler gauge).

-Shaun