Non EGR swap on 92 foxbody

• Sponsors (?)

Need help got a non EGR intake I want to install on my 92 foxbody has anyone done it if so need input how to install it.

What is the make of the intake? Are you saying it does not have the port or provisions for it?

Your engine will work without an EGR but you will have a check engine light on, and depending on where you live and what you emissions laws are, you will not pass a smog inspection.

Intake is from a 98 explore 5.0, so I won’t have a problem if I cancel egr and ACT. I’m in Texas. My main concern was that I’ve seeing videos of the explorer lower and upper swap and those videos there’s to ports that need to be drill on the one that I got it doesn’t have the to boss where you drill to add egr line and ACT sensor.

Some cars trigger a CEL and some don't when you remove the EGR. Unplug it and drive the car around if you get a CEL then you now you need to buy the resistor. The ACT sensor however you need and will need to have the runner tapped

Great input guys thanks gonna try disconnecting it first, if I don’t get a code then I’ll proceed with relocating ACT sensor read that some guys relocate it on the cold intake box or tap it in the cold intake tube.

The computer is programmed for the IAT sensor temps in the manifold. I do not know if that makes much difference when you go elsewhere in the intake track, but they should not be the same.
As far as no boss to drill and tap, I have seen amazing welding repairs done to aluminum heads. Shouldn’t it be possible to weld up an area for a boss, grind it flat, then drill and tap like normal? Maybe even make it thicker or wider than normal?

Edit, why does autocorrect change properly spelled words but ignored “makecit” when I typed the post?

Last edited:
The computer is programmed for the IAT sensor temps in the manifold. I do not know if that makes much difference when you go elsewhere in the intake track, but they should not be the same.
As far as no boss to drill and tap, I have seen amazing welding repairs done to aluminum heads. Shouldn’t it be possible to weld up an area for a boss, grind it flat, then drill and tap like normal? Maybe even makecit thicker or wider than normal?

It’s possible to do such a thing, but it’s also a common explorer intake. Unless there is a sentimental attachment to it, or porting work has been done, just easier to sell it and track down a -BA lower with the right ACT boss

Eventually, they will be rarer. But I was thinking especially if work had been put into it or if someone was already decent at welding aluminum that shipping cost on another lower could easily offset the effort of building up an area for a sensor.

thanks already found a BA lower at my local junkyard found a Mountaineer. Guy at yard told me that I could also use the rear axel to convert it to 5 lungs. Any suggestions if that will work on my 92 I want something that bolts.