non mustang classic ford

hungrymonkey

White by Birth, Trash By Choice
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
Oregon.
I found a 1966 ford short bed truck. the paint sucks, but it runs decent and is really straight. I have the guy talked down to $150.

Its has a 70's 302, with a C4 and what looks like a 9" rear. It has the 9" looking housing, but has a big plug in the back of it. Not 100% positive on it.

I will probably go over there in a few minutes and get it running. The guy said that it runs good, but he lost the keys and the battery is dead.

I dont really know what to look for on this. But I did not notice any filler or rust on the body or frame.

Aside from needing input on what to look for, anyone have advice on how to break this to my wife :D

• Sponsors (?)

sweet, I've got a 65 F100 that I'm restoring. They are neat trucks and the value has been going up lately since they are becoming fairly popular. It is a 9" rear, should have 3.50+ gears, 28 spline stuff. If its solid, don't even think about cutting it up, either fix it up or sell it to someone who will, can't go wrong for $150. Checking for rust is just like checking a mustang, look at the bottom of the doors, cowl area, radiator support, cab-frame mounts, rear bottom corners of the cab, etc.

Post pics!

Tell her there was an ultra rare Mustang part in the bed that they wanted $149 for and they threw in the truck for $1. Do not forget to throw an ultra rare Mustang part in the bed before you take her out in the driveway to show it too her. :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh:

hungrymonkey said:
I found a 1966 ford short bed truck. the paint sucks, but it runs decent and is really straight. I have the guy talked down to $150.

Its has a 70's 302, with a C4 and what looks like a 9" rear. It has the 9" looking housing, but has a big plug in the back of it. Not 100% positive on it.

I will probably go over there in a few minutes and get it running. The guy said that it runs good, but he lost the keys and the battery is dead.

I dont really know what to look for on this. But I did not notice any filler or rust on the body or frame.

Aside from needing input on what to look for, anyone have advice on how to break this to my wife :D

You will get the wife thing figured out. Been married to "women" for 31 years and man what a trip.

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com

tshirtlogo9we.png

Attachments

• tshirtlogo9we.png
    tshirtlogo9we.png
    7 KB · Views: 75
302 coupe said:
sweet, I've got a 65 F100 that I'm restoring. They are neat trucks and the value has been going up lately since they are becoming fairly popular. It is a 9" rear, should have 3.50+ gears, 28 spline stuff. If its solid, don't even think about cutting it up, either fix it up or sell it to someone who will, can't go wrong for $150. Checking for rust is just like checking a mustang, look at the bottom of the doors, cowl area, radiator support, cab-frame mounts, rear bottom corners of the cab, etc.

Post pics!
what is the aftermarket like for them?

I talked my wife into it. although I have to have it painted really quick. I need to freshen up the interior also.

I will probably drop another battery into it, and drive it home tonight.

oh, btw.

there were some conditions. We have to buy a honda element at some point.

Plus I have to put my mustang in the garage until I get it running. Not much to do to it though. Just put it back together and get some exhaust on it.

Its in front of my house right now. Kind of a goofy situation.

The guy lived in my town, had his liscence revoked for nefarious reasons. He was taking the bus to work, which was in a town 20 miles north.

he decided that was not working so he moved up to that town but could not get his truck moved so It sat at his old place. His landlord was being "itchy" as he put it. So he had to have it gone by the 30th.

I went over there today and with two sprays of starter fluid and the old solenoid hotwire. I got it running.

The motor fires up the first crank, and it pulls ok. No smoke or metal noises.

The brake lights, and turn signals dont work. I will have to figure out why. Also the shift linkage needs to have a new C clip put on it.

I just need to pay for it and start cleaning it up.

Is it a SWB or a SNB? SWB is better, but either is a sweet deal. Parts are pretty decent if memory serves. Check out Ford Truck Entusiests website @ www.ford-trucks.com for more info. I had a buddy in high school that had a yellow '65 SWB with a built 428/c6 combo that ran like a scalded dog. Fastest thing in town, although nmost everyone drove trucks, not cars. Another buddy was driving it and blew up the 428. He put a 390 stocker in it and sold it.

It looks like a swb from all the pictures I could find of them.

what is a snb?

I should get some pics tommorow. I think I am already a member of fte.

I did an intoduction post in the 61-66 forum.

ahh. so I would have a slickside? or short wide bed.

I have been doing some reasearch, and it does not look to hard to modify. I will probalby put some power disk brakes on. Manual brakes scare me.

with gas price the way they are right now you might consider swapping that anemic little 302 for fuel injected 4.9 (300 ci) six cylinder and 5 speed. that's what i've always wanted to do with one of those. i would love to have a 64-66 so i could do that exact swap, except i'd probably go with an aod instead. eventually i plan to open a hot rod shop that specializes in restomods and adding new tech stuff to old school cars and trucks and that would make a great shop/parts truck. another swap i've always thought about doing is fuelie 460/e4od swap into a mid 70's f-350 crew cab. several years ago i almost bought a 79 SWB extended cab that already had a 460 and that would have been a great candidate for the 460/e4od swap as well. man i need to win the lottery so i can start building all these dream projects

parts aren't hard to find, you can get a lot of stuff from Mac's, LMC truck, Dennis Carpenter, just to name afew. Disc brakes are an easy swap, as is the booster, power steering is easy too. Just find any truck up to 1979 or so and swap the parts over.

My 65 has a 351W/C4, 3.25's in the 9", power discs, and power steering. Should make for a nice ride when I get it back from the body shop.

I have a post in the truck forum over at fordmuscle with pics here

hungrymonkey said:
oh, btw.

there were some conditions. We have to buy a honda element at some point.

Plus I have to put my mustang in the garage until I get it running. Not much to do to it though. Just put it back together and get some exhaust on it.
You were worried about a $150 pickup and your wife gets a brand new car?

That sounds just like my ex-wife. :fuss: