NON-Tech Talk

WORTH

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Nov 18, 2002
Cape Cod, Ma.
Gentlemen, I haven't been around here much lately and some things have changed. I come here because I like Mustangs and classic cars in general, and it's a fun place to hang around. I also help out whenever I think I have something to add. I've been around Mustangs since they were new rolling off the assembly line and I've probubly owned more Mustangs then most of you have seen. Before you decide to run this forum as a STRICT TECH FORUM, you may want to think about something. There are a handfull of people here that are very good with cars, and put out some real valuable information , and they are not here to get help, because they don't need any. They are here to have FUN and to help out others. If you make this place NOT FUN, you will all lose alot.

So before you ruin this forum you may want to ask yourself why you are here, I know I'm here to have FUN.

• Sponsors (?)

WORTH, I respect you, and that's why I want to take extra steps to impress upon you that I am in no way intending to step on anyone's toes. That disclaimer out of the way, this topic has been discussed into the ground, and is the exact reason that we now have the Classic Mustang Talk sub forum. It keeps things organized, so if you are having a day where you just don't feel like working in the "virtual garage", you can hang out with the people that you are usually rubbing elbows with in said garage. Conversely, if someone wants to get greasy, and down to business, they don't have to wade through duscussions about movies or why Corvette owners seem so snobby. The line sometimes gets blurred when a thread is slightly hijacked or something, but that is human nature and not a big deal. It is really not that hard to jump between forums, or keep two windows open, and this was agreed by the majority to be the best way to keep things organized. It works pretty well in my opinion.

Edit: I went back and got caught up in the Hay Pakrat thread, and I happen to agree with the majority. The current setup is a good one, but a little friendly conversation slipping into tech here and there isn't enough to get one's panties in a wad.

I try to rule the forum pretty easily and let a lot of things go without raising hell.
As long as the topic is at least Mustang related in some way you'll see that I'm not closing or moving threads in an interest to keep things fun around here.

66 BLAKE 96 said:
WORTH, I respect you, and that's why I want to take extra steps to impress upon you that I am in no way intending to step on anyone's toes. That disclaimer out of the way, this topic has been discussed into the ground, and is the exact reason that we now have the Classic Mustang Talk sub forum. It keeps things organized, so if you are having a day where you just don't feel like working in the "virtual garage", you can hang out with the people that you are usually rubbing elbows with in said garage. Conversely, if someone wants to get greasy, and down to business, they don't have to wade through duscussions about movies or why Corvette owners seem so snobby. The line sometimes gets blurred when a thread is slightly hijacked or something, but that is human nature and not a big deal. It is really not that hard to jump between forums, or keep two windows open, and this was agreed by the majority to be the best way to keep things organized. It works pretty well in my opinion.

OK, well here is the thread in question; http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=472082

Is that suppose to be in the Talk Forum? It looks car related to me. I am sorry if I had some fun in there but it was car related. :D

WORTH said:
OK, well here is the thread in question; http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=472082

Is that suppose to be in the Talk Forum? It looks car related to me. I am sorry if I had some fun in there but it was car related. :D

Heheh, looks like we are passing each other and missing each other at the same time. :p

I had already edited my original post after reading that thread to reflect my thoughts on that specific instance.

Who started this noise again??? Nevermind, it doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is:
2bav8 said:
I try to rule the forum pretty easily and let a lot of things go without raising hell.
As long as the topic is at least Mustang related in some way you'll see that I'm not closing or moving threads in an interest to keep things fun around here.
Now, as long as I've been here, 2bav8 has done a damn fine job moderating this forum. When stuff has gotten way out of hand or completely inappropriate, he's controlled it. When I've PM'd him about a particular thread, he's been responsive when he has agreed.

So, I say move on... nothing to see here. :nice:

It has come to my attention recently that this is now the "anything goes" forum, so I see no problem discussing anything, in any matter, here.

Rules? We don't need no stinking rules!!!

DarkBuddha said:
Now, as long as I've been here, 2bav8 has done a damn fine job moderating this forum. When stuff has gotten way out of hand or completely inappropriate, he's controlled it. When I've PM'd him about a particular thread, he's been responsive when he has agreed.

I agree with Buddha on this one, the moderators on the classic site have been great and it is always keep everything within limits. I also think the fact that the Classic section of Stangnet has been so well maintained has to do in large part to the type of people we have hanging around here. For the most part everyone gets along here and we all share a love of the hobby. As long as the "tech" section doesn't get overun with OT threads I say we forget the above mentioned post and move on. Now if someone really does have a problem with a certain thread, let the moderators know and I am sure they will take care of the problem. Have a good day everyone.

gp001 said:
It has come to my attention recently that this is now the "anything goes" forum, so I see no problem discussing anything, in any matter, here.

Rules? We don't need no stinking rules!!!

Not really, although a few non-driving newbs have tried to make it that way. I like it the way it is, with the "TALK" section being there for the folks who like to follow the rules, and the "TECH" section there for......well.....TECH. You can't help but stray away from tech from time to time. It's just in our nature, but the rules are still there. I hate it when some newb startes a thread in tech like...."Guess what me and my buds did last night to a bunch of kewl, hot babes?" OH, that get the ole panties in a nice tight wad for sure. :D

Ozsum67 said:
Not really, although a few non-driving newbs have tried to make it that way. I like it the way it is, with the "TALK" section being there for the folks who like to follow the rules, and the "TECH" section there for......well.....TECH. You can't help but stray away from tech from time to time. It's just in our nature, but the rules are still there. I hate it when some newb startes a thread in tech like...."Guess what me and my buds did last night to bunch of kewl, hot babes?" OH, that get the ole panties in a nice tight wad for sure. :D

Oz,
You know how I really feel, it is just getting tiring trying to give a damn. Everyone talks about it being "fun" but then slams people when they try to self police the forum we are all a part of. Some people just want to do what they want where they want, rules/purpose/oraganisation be damned! It seems that those who weren't around pre-Talk just don't get it, and some of the ones who were just don't remember. We lost a lot of good (Tech) people who got sick of all the BS. This board is missing out on some really great things being done to Stangs. I still converse with several of these guys via e-mails and we share projects and ideas that would have been great for SN. Hell, I don't even post my project pictures or updates on SN anymore. The "pop to the top" software doesn't help. Remeber all the GBM posts trying to break post reply records, all the "Look what I found on Ebay", "what's it worth", or my personal favorites "I want to sell the stang to buy a [insert non stang]" threads dominating the top?
That being said, I see no problem with threads that start out tech and then wander, but would soon fizzle out. That is how we build comradery and respect with each other. The other non-tech, or completely OT threads are the problem. While it may not seem it would have an affect on Tech today, at one point in time IT DID. I, as I assume some others, can remeber when the first page/ page and a half were all OT/Gutter type posts. You had to actively search through the thread titles to find one related to Tech. And there were little if any replies because these were quickly pushed to the bottom by the OT stuff that would pop to the top. At that point in time SN Classic was very impotent. We lost many members who grew disgusted. I see many of them active on other forums, but no longer here on SN. The Talk section was discussed several times and eventually was implemented for a reason. It wasn't just a whim of fancy. And before anyone jumps on my ass for the Talk section know this: I didn't suggest it, and I had nothing to do with it's implementation, but I do believe in its purpose.

gp001 said:
Oz,
You know how I really feel, it is just getting tiring trying to give a damn. Everyone talks about it being "fun" but then slams people when they try to self police the forum we are all a part of. Some people just want to do what they want where they want, rules/purpose/oraganisation be damned! It seems that those who weren't around pre-Talk just don't get it, and some of the ones who were just don't remember. We lost a lot of good (Tech) people who got sick of all the BS. This board is missing out on some really great things being done to Stangs. I still converse with several of these guys via e-mails and we share projects and ideas that would have been great for SN. Hell, I don't even post my project pictures or updates on SN anymore. The "pop to the top" software doesn't help. Remeber all the GBM posts trying to break post reply records, all the "Look what I found on Ebay", "what's it worth", or my personal favorites "I want to sell the stang to buy a [insert non stang]" threads dominating the top?
That being said, I see no problem with threads that start out tech and then wander, but would soon fizzle out. That is how we build comradery and respect with each other. The other non-tech, or completely OT threads are the problem. While it may not seem it would have an affect on Tech today, at one point in time IT DID. I, as I assume some others, can remeber when the first page/ page and a half were all OT/Gutter type posts. You had to actively search through the thread titles to find one related to Tech. And there were little if any replies because these were quickly pushed to the bottom by the OT stuff that would pop to the top. At that point in time SN Classic was very impotent. We lost many members who grew disgusted. I see many of them active on other forums, but no longer here on SN. The Talk section was discussed several times and eventually was implemented for a reason. It wasn't just a whim of fancy. And before anyone jumps on my ass for the Talk section know this: I didn't suggest it, and I had nothing to do with it's implementation, but I do believe in its purpose.

GP, I agree with you 99%, did you see the post in question? And did you have a problem with it?

gp001 said:
Oz,

We're on the same page. :nice: