Normal temp readings?

My car seems to be running cold, or the temp gauge is off. My temp usually stays inbetween the 2nd and 3rd white notches from the bottom. I have a 180* thermostat. Do you think it is sticking, or I should replace the thermostat?

To others with 180* thermostat: Where does your temp needle stay?
To people with stock 195* thermostat: Where does your temp needle stay?

I'm curious...

• Sponsors (?)

leakyfaucet said:
To others with 180* thermostat: Where does your temp needle stay?
To people with stock 195* thermostat: Where does your temp needle stay?

I'm curious...

Right here

Whiteface.jpg

I have an autometer mechanical water temp gauge and my actually average temperatire with a 180 degree thermostat is 188 degrees. The range is 185-195

leakyfaucet said:
Yeah, that's exactly where mine stays. So why do people put 180* thermostats in? I did mine because it was the highest autozone had.

PS: I like those gauges, where'd you get em?

I did because i wanted to replace my 10 year old stocker and wanted the engine to be a little cooler running.

They are BBK SPeedware gauges

raph130 said:
A lower degree t-stat will keep the engine cooler. There is nothing wrong with the temp on your car. I would only be concerned if it was always on the first line which is 130*.

Come on morons. the temp should be between 2nd and 3rd during winter (here in seattle) and during the summer it goes a little above the 3rd sometimes, or it'll go a little higher than that if i run it hard to 100MPH