North Race Car Brackets. No Need!

88LX5.Oh

15 Year Member
Dec 30, 2011
Arkansas
So I've got a '96 Mustang 'vert rear end in my shop. I'm putting my Yukon hardened axles (out of LRS's cheap 5 lug swap kit. they're stock fox length) in 'em and I'm gonna keep the disk brakes. And, no I won't be getting the North Race Car brackets.

Little back story. My dad bought an '88 GT Mustang rear end to go in his '96 Drag Stang (orig. v6 car with v6 rear) he bought fox length hardened axles for the rear end and tried to put the disk brakes from the '96 on. Ran into an issue of course since the SN95 axles are .75 inches longer due to the luctor wheel attached to them for the ABS. So, he found a way (using all the factory SN95 rear end pieces) to make fox length axles and SN95 rear brakes work.

Now, do a lot of people know that you can do this or what? I ask because I haven't seen it done before and anytime SN95 brakes and fox axles shows up here on SN, everyone says get the North race car brackets.
If this isn't a very well known thing, I'm going to make a write up about it when I go to do mine here within a couple of weeks. Lots of pictures will be included.

Oh and the best part of all this, it seriously won't cost you a dime to do it :D

• Sponsors (?)

That sounds very similar, if not exactly what my dad did, Noobz. How come I haven't heard of very many people doing this? It seems very simple and you save quite a bit of money.

I may still post a thread showing what all tools are needed, where to cut, and the finished product. If something like that hasn't already been posted?
I actually got the calipers, bridges, and rotors today so I may even end up doing it tomorrow if it's slow at the shop.

That sounds very similar, if not exactly what my dad did, Noobz. How come I haven't heard of very many people doing this? It seems very simple and you save quite a bit of money.

I may still post a thread showing what all tools are needed, where to cut, and the finished product. If something like that hasn't already been posted?
I actually got the calipers, bridges, and rotors today so I may even end up doing it tomorrow if it's slow at the shop.

Hell yeah... You should DEFINITELY do the build thread. Step by step threads are ALWAYS a plus as is outlining any issues you might run into.

Here's a basic diagram for the bracket mod. Take a look at my brake album on this site. Some of the pics might help you out if you get into a situation that causes you to scratch your head.

standalone

Lots of folks like the North Racers solution depending on their car use. Road course runners for instance, don't want to run the risk of using a weakened bracket even though there's never been report of this method ever breaking or failing (that I'm aware of).

There are a few threads discussing this method but none with a start to finish, step by step tutorial though.

I have more pics here: http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/useralbums/break-images.1506/view

Feel free to use any that might help you create your build thread.

I'll definitely check out that album!
And tomorrow I'll get on it as soon as I can. I'll try to take my time with it and write everything down so I can get as much information as possible so readers hopefully can have most, if not all, of their questions answered :)

Yea, that method has been around for a while, but like Noobz already said, most people won't do it because of the perceived weakening of the bracket. Whether or not it's really an issue, is debatable. Plus most people lack the fab skills. Maybe I'm smoking drugs, but I thought I've seen people weld the cut-out back in after installing the bracket...? I dunno.

Anyway, do a write up, we need one on this site! Then post a link for it in the ultimate 5 lug conversion thread.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...5-lug-brake-conversion-upgrade-thread.801400/