Not a mustang question but could use help

tom2001gt

Founding Member
May 20, 2002
Delran N.J.
My friend has a toyota and the plugs are in the center of the valve cover. His number one plug hole gets filled with oil after a few weeks. If he cleans the oil off the plug it will run fine for a few weeks and then get covered in oil.
I have never had one of these valve covers off but is there some kind of seal under the valve cover that prevent oil from going in the spark plug hole and is that probably whats wrong with it.
Thanks
Tom

• Sponsors (?)

What year is this engine? Like mentioned above it's most likely the valve/cam cover, assuming this engine is an overhead cam engine. I used to drive a '93 PGT with the DOHC V6 and had the same problem, but wasn't that bad. I just checked the plugs every now and then and used a rag/socket to clean the spark plug holes out. My dad still drives this car and after 135k mi. on the original gaskets has had no problems.

It's not the valve cover gasket itself. However, there are round seals under the v/c that seal the spark plug cannal from the v/c. The seals go bad and allow oil into the spark plug cannal. You can get the gasket and seals from a local parts store. No major job to repair. :nice:

Bernie is right on. sometimes you have to ask for the kit to get the round seals. sometimes they come with the cover seal. very common problem.
good luck.

The cover on those engines is sealed around the perimeter, and with a composite seal at the bottom of each of the spark plug 'cylinders'. Easy fix - get the whole kit. I raced an old push-rod hemi-head 2TC for 9 years in SCCA. Know those seals well - although, after having the valve cover off probably 100 times over that time frame, never had any leaks with the gaskets. In fact, in 48 races, we never had a DNF. Toyota reliability.