Not DRIVETRAIN related, but tech enough for me.

five_o_stang

Jan 8, 2004
Georgia
Ok....I've recently encountered one of the many woes of owning a Stang and need suggestions of fixing it. Ya'll know the little thingy the hatch latch catches on down by the hatch light. Well the little rubber ring around it that keeps it kinda thick corroded off..and now my trunk rattles and pops open over every bump. To make matters worse, I live on a campus with a billion humongous speed bumps...(big enough to bottom out on if I go over them more than 1/100 of a mile/hr)...anyway.so now I'm constantly having to get out and shut my trunk when I get to the exit of my school....I couldn't see how to take that thing off and replace it (though honestly I didn't look all that hard...i'm just sitting in class thinking about it and reading posts so feel free to help me out)....

• Sponsors (?)

Take the screws out of the plastic trim piece and pull it away from the striker. You will need a torx bit on a ratchet wrench to loosen the striker. I think it is a T-50 bit, but not sure of the size. It is the same size as the door strikers. Just stick it in, unscrew the striker, and screw the new one in. You can adjust it up and down before tightening. I got mine at Ford for about $18.