Not so nice hole there

• Sponsors (?)

I would pull at least the fender and maybe the door as well to get full visibility and access to cut and repair.

With the fender off you can check higher up near the cowl panel.

Might want to check the other side as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah man, if that rust is there on the pillar, I guarantee you have it in all the other areas where these cars rot.

• Agree
Just curious,is there something special about this car? Just from what you've showed I wouldn't touch it with a 39-1/2" pole.

After a few of these, you might!!
970032F6-20CD-4F63-B502-9F30DB62315C.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I did this on an 87 LX. You have to take off the fender and door. Pull the interior and carpet. The corrosion starts from the inside out. I cut out the rusted sections and butt welded in patches using a thicker steel. Hold them in place with magnets until they are tacked. I guarantee if you look under the "A" pillar under the car the rocker will be gone as well. You have to fabricate this section as the replacement rockers are only the flat portions. On the inside of the car in that corner there is a support brace. I had to put patches in where tthe firewall met the floorplan as the bottom of the firewall was basically gone. Physically there but I could put a screwdriver through it with little pressure. I put a new floorplan in at this time as well then re-installed the brace. While you have the fender off, reseal the exterior joints. This is where all the water gets in that starts the problem to begin with. This is the short version. Lots of work ahead but it can be done.

If you are lucky and can find a car that does not have these rusted out already then a donor will work. The problem is you dont know until you cut it open because the problem is on the inside of the pillar. Where I live there was no hope of a good donor so iha d to do it all by hand with a cut off saw, hammer, anvil and welder.

However, their are 4 locals that cover a 200 mile radius and buy up every fox. To cut up and sell parts in FB and eBay. Smh

There's a crew here that does that as well.

One guy bought a pretty nice 10th anniversary '03 Cobra convertible that had nothing wrong with it. Guys were messaging him asking to buy the car outright, but he flat out said he gets more money parting them out. So he cut it up and sent the shell to the wrecker. He parted out a bunch of terminators.

Last edited:
There's a crew here that does that as well.

One guy bought a pretty nice 10th anniversary '03 Cobra convertible that had nothing wrong with him. Guys were messaging him asking to buy the car outright, but he flat out said he gets more money parting them out. So he cut it up and sent the shell to the wrecker. He parted out a bunch of terminators.
There’s two guys out by Charlotte that do the same with cobras. All are respected as saving the culture, which I can see that perspective. However, I have also seen them take cars bought from local members that do what you do and meticulously/tastefully mod your car but when flipper gets a hold your car....oh this or that is slightly tweaked...sawsaw and part out because it doesn’t fit the profit margin formula.

i get its business and capitalism.

my car however fits that criteria of part out for more money.

I’ll just drive it until end of June when my garage space frees back up and get the welder out.

***disclaimer***
If they buy the car they can do as they see fit.

Potentially, but I have been looking a clean roller to transplant for a awhile here. However, their are 4 locals that cover a 200 mile radius and buy up every fox. To cut up and sell parts in FB and eBay. Smh

Maybe talk to them and see if one is willing to sell you the rolling shell before they cut it up? You know, they take engine, trans, interior, maybe even rear and sell you the complete shell. It would make inspection much easier once everything is out. Besides, it is more work for them if they are cutting it up. They unbolt what they want, you get the rest. You never know until you ask.

There are factors to when they should be parted out. If the body is relatively undamaged and rust free no matter what the mechanical issues they should not be parted out. This car looked ok....

and then I pulled the fenders.......and it became a parts car.

VCr9sS.jpg

Maybe talk to them and see if one is willing to sell you the rolling shell before they cut it up? You know, they take engine, trans, interior, maybe even rear and sell you the complete shell. It would make inspection much easier once everything is out. Besides, it is more work for them if they are cutting it up. They unbolt what they want, you get the rest. You never know until you ask.
They’re not the type. Purchase the car $2500 strip to no glass, no interior, no body panels...price then $1800 lol. Wish i can make that crap up.

There are factors to when they should be parted out. If the body is relatively undamaged and rust free no matter what the mechanical issues they should not be parted out. This car looked ok....

JeFrf2.jpg

and then I pulled the fenders.......and it became a parts car.

VCr9sS.jpg
Agreed. When I pulled it back I didnt see that but That was just taking the top bolts off and pulling back.

I’ll see the full extent next month when I can get it in the garage. Another project is taking up that space and my HOA already gives crap for tearing apart cars in the street