SN95 Not Sure About 94 Cobra

image.jpeg image.jpeg Well I've hit the welcome wagon now I'll post up here, had a mustang years ago, then owned a 01 lightning for a few years, sold it and bought a 94 cobra that needs let's say lots of work. My problem other the bodywork is do I keep it based around the 5.0 or build the 351 I have. Any thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

image.jpeg image.jpeg Well I've hit the welcome wagon now I'll post up here, had a mustang years ago, then owned a 01 lightning for a few years, sold it and bought a 94 cobra that needs let's say lots of work. My problem other the bodywork is do I keep it based around the 5.0 or build the 351 I have. Any thoughts?

Looks like you've got the right hood for a 351. If you already have it, go for it.

No doubt, the 351, like @Boosted92LX said, you've already got the hood for it.

When it comes time to fix that 1/4, rocker, door area, let me know if you need help. Get a new door btw.

More pictures please.....

Wait,..you guys are advising him to build a 351 because he has a "hood"???

As with every other time this question is asked,...the first series of qualifiers to determine that, is to ask:

What do you have currently? (i.e. do you have a 351w sitting in a corner somewhere,...do you have other junk that will support the 5.0 like exhaust headers, intake manifold, or the smaller sized stock (GT-40/P) after market (TFS 170) heads?
Does the car have a good running engine currently?
Do you plan to add forced induction at any realistic time in the future?
What are your power goals, and what do you want from the car?

As with every other time this question is asked,...the first series of qualifiers to determine that, is to ask:

What do you have currently? (i.e. do you have a 351w sitting in a corner somewhere,...do you have other junk that will support the 5.0 like exhaust headers, intake manifold, or the smaller sized stock (GT-40/P) after market (TFS 170) heads?

Let's go back and look at this quote made by the OP-

"My problem other the bodywork is do I keep it based around the 5.0 or build the 351 I have."

This would tell me (If I could read) that he has a 351.. and being he already has that engine, and the requisite hood needed for that engine in that car, he's already about $1200 ahead of the game. So.......

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

I have a block, nothing else for the Windsor, the 5.0 runs good, from what I'm told it has a f cam, car sounds good but doesn't seem to have the power I think it should, could be tuning issue. Yes my future plan is for a single turbo setup when the funds allow. I like the idea of bigger cubes but would also like to keep 5.0 because it came that way. That being said a 331 would possibly happen

I think the real question is, did you buy it because it's a cobra or was it the right car at the right time?
If you bought it because it's a cobra, keep all the cobra parts such as the 302, refurb/rebuild as necessary, maybe change the cam then just add a vortech and be done.

A 331 would be a waste of money if you intend to use a power adder on a 302 based engine.

If you don't care that it's a cobra, do whatever you like with it, it's not like you would be tearing up a perfect specimen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Let's go back and look at this quote made by the OP-

"My problem other the bodywork is do I keep it based around the 5.0 or build the 351 I have."

This would tell me (If I could read) that he has a 351.. and being he already has that engine, and the requisite hood needed for that engine in that car, he's already about $1200 ahead of the game. So.......

:stick:

It's not that I cant read, it's that I can't see because you just poked me in the eye with a stick.

As you well know, "build the 351 I already have could mean that It needs everything. And everything a 351w needs is nothing that'll come from a stock 5.0.

Turns out all he has is a bare block, and a running 5.0.

Here,...lets rephrase the OP.

"My problem other the bodywork is do I keep it based around the 5.0 or build the 351 I have." "The 5.0 runs good, and all I really have is a bare block. "I like the idea of bigger cubes but would also like to keep 5.0 because it came that way."

So, in hindsight, as far as advice goes, the only way we got there was to ask more questions...

It's the Salesman in me Allen,....I can't help myself.

Reactions: 1 users
Screw those guys, build a badass 351 that you throw forced induction on.

Once you are finished driving it the first time, and you have pealed your eyeballs off the back of your skull, and have the ability to talk again without squealing and giggling like a little girl, You'll say to yourself, "Dave was right!".

How comfortable are you with doing the bodywork?

Screw those guys, build a badass 351 that you throw forced induction on.

Once you are finished driving it the first time, and you have pealed your eyeballs off the back of your skull, and have the ability to talk again without squealing and giggling like a little girl, You'll say to yourself, "Dave was right!".

How comfortable are you with doing the bodywork?
I'm somewhat comfortable, I've got a buddy close that can help get it done right which is why I didn't mind buyin it with the damage

I think the real question is, did you buy it because it's a cobra or was it the right car at the right time?
If you bought it because it's a cobra, keep all the cobra parts such as the 302, refurb/rebuild as necessary, maybe change the cam then just add a vortech and be done.

A 331 would be a waste of money if you intend to use a power adder on a 302 based engine.

If you don't care that it's a cobra, do whatever you like with it, it's not like you would be tearing up a perfect specimen.
Wel it was a little of both, I always liked the how exclusive my lightning was but it was modded. So I like having another SVT but main goal is fast and fun and whatever that takes. I got the car right I think, $1500 was a steal I believe!

And precisely why I asked what his intention for the 302, and how soon if and when he intended to add forced induction coupled w/ HP goals,........a turbo/SC on a 302 > 351 N/A everyday.

I guess that's debatable. A nasty 408w even n/a is quite formidable. We're talking 600 hp with no boost woes. Not to mention you don't have to worry with the limitations of a 302 block. It's looking more attractive to me all the time, I tell ya.

Reactions: 2 users