Not Sure To Be Excited Or Worried

rattlecan96gt

Dec 22, 2016
Dallas, Texas
Well awhile ago I had a friend of mines shop help me finish my engine swap on my 96 gt with an 02 pi engine, because my apartment wasn't very pleased lmao but any who the shop told me this engine has a cam when they started it I was excited but when I picked it up and installed the exhaust it didn't really sound or feel like it has a cam so I kind of disregarded that allegation, but fast forward to a week ago I said raise hail praise dale and deleted the mufflers now I don't have cats or mufflers I just thought eh why not you know but to my dismay it definitely appears to have a cam it seems now that the car is louder I can really hear a cam lope I checked vacuum new plugs new wires the whole nine yards I checked and cleaned the iac and scanned the obd and came up with nothing but the results of a healthy PI 4.6 2v any ideas ? should I be concerned of anything?

• Sponsors (?)

NO NO NO lol your good bro you misunderstood me lol you gave great input I appreciate it lol.
I was talking about noobz, hes a smart guy he can really help a lot but sometimes I've noticed he just likes to troll instead.

Reactions: 1 user
NO NO NO lol your good bro you misunderstood me lol you gave great input I appreciate it lol.
I was talking about noobz, hes a smart guy he can really help a lot but sometimes I've noticed he just likes to troll instead.

I troll a LOT. There are a ton of folks here with a lot more Mustang knowledge than I have and I defer to those experts quite a bit.

If the technical piece within a thread is solid then sure... I'll make jokes unless it's a technical thread in the technical forum to keep it moving or to bump it up. Otherwise, it's chit-chat. Technical threads are those that ask for or deliver a set of step-by-step instructions for accomplishing a task. Threads that ask for opinion, are not.

Everything done on this forum is of course, done in written word. The clearer it is, the better it is. If it's a mess, I will usually comment about the mess. I'm dammed if I do and damned if I don't try and keep it "light" or "troll" as you call it. I'm a smart-ass if I make light of it or a prick if I state it bluntly.

Anyway, I will convey my message in a way that I think it will be understood. I'm not too concerned about butt-hurtedness. That would be a full-time job and has little to do with forum operation. Many folks actively seek reasons to be butt-hurt.

Look at my post count. Now, how many posts do you think I read in a given day, month, year (rhetorical)? I don't even know... Nearly all of them.

You appear to have some smarts yourself. At least you are here asking questions and not bookface. Work on your written delivery and your posts will get more traffic and better responses.

Ok... if there's sarcasm in that post, I don't see it.

Lack of back pressure can actually hurt performance. I'd strongly reccommend putting mufflers back on. These cars already suffer from lack of torque.

Also most cams (Aftermarket) are marked on the end snout where the cam gear bolts onto. It's not likely that you'll find a marking just by popping the cam cover off unless you want to attempt (Not advised) to pull the cam bolt (it's torque to yield if it's stock) and look under there.

Odds are if it sounds stock then it's likely stock.

I disagree that "back pressure" increases performance:

Tuned exhaust

A tuned exhaust system is an exhaust system for an internal combustion engine which improves its efficiency by using precise geometry to reflect the pressure waves from the exhaust valve or port back to the valve or port at a particular time in the cycle.

Tuned exhaust systems are common on motor racing engines, light aircraft engines,[1]model engines and two-stroke motorcycle engines, and are not restricted to these applications. They are of two main types:
  • In a four-stroke engine, tuned extractor manifolds are used to promote scavenging of the exhaust gases by delivering a pulse of negative pressure just before the exhaust valve closes.
In either case, the efficiency of the system is greatest at a particular engine speed, which is determined by the exhaust system geometry. Tuning the system for best effect is typically done both by calculation during the design of the exhaust system, and by trial and error during engine development.

An important recent development is variable geometry exhaust systems, both for two-stroke and four-stroke engines, which allow the tuning to be effective over a wider range of engine speeds.

Exhaust Scavenging

In automotive usage, scavenging is the process of pushing exhausted gas-charge out of the cylinder and drawing in a fresh draught of air or fuel/air mixture for the next cycle.

This process is essential in having a smooth-running internal combustion engine. If scavenging is incomplete, the following stroke will begin with a mix of exhaust fumes rather than clean air. This may be inadequate for proper combustion, leading to poor running conditions such as four-stroking.

Scavenging is equally important for both two- and four-stroke engines. However it is more difficult to achieve in two-stroke engines, owing to the proximity, or even overlap, of their induction and exhaust strokes. Scavenging is also equally important to both petrol and diesel engines.

Additional Notes

By removing the mufflers, you have changed the geometry of the tuned exhaust. It will not be as efficient at expelling exhaust gasses and will cause lazy exhaust to "hang out" in the exhaust system until it is pushed out. A tuned exhaust system "pulls" exhaust out of the combustion chamber when the exhaust valve opens, by using of the force of the previous exhaust pulse. An exhaust system with too large a diameter for the application will have the same effect.

Just to "pile on" here.

I have to honestly say that I read the opening post and didn't understand what the OP was trying to say or ask for. I read it several times and it was still unclear to me exactly what the OP was saying and asking help with.

Rather than guess, I decided to stay quite.

But given the confusing nature of the opening post I have to say that it's not surprise to me that the replies are not what the OP was expecting.

But if the complaint is the idle lope let me ask. WHICH IAC was used? The original black vent or the non vented version that a 2002 model year should have? Because the 1996 PCM is going to be expecting the black vented IAC version.

Also. Has this PCM been tuned for the PI motor? While the stock 96 PCM will run a PI motor, it won't get the best results without a tune. Add to this equation that the Motor may have a cam and this may also be too much change for the stock PCM's tune.

Wow! I just got slapped in the face with pure knowledge thank you all very much. I did not change the IAC I did not have any idea that ford decided to change that I will give that a try then tune the PCM for the PI motor. Now for the original post I did not realize my lack of literacy made that much of a difference but I see it now. thank you for sticking through my headache of a post and helping me out. Hopefully knowing what I know now will get more help in the future seeing as in the past "jokes" was pretty much all I would ever get. Also I originally posted this in the TECH forum but it got moved, and I also don't care about what people think of me and if I did care id be in a Camaro lol

also to clear things up a bit I originally thought it was a stock PI cam. With the full exhaust on it would rumble really good and sounded like it tried to lope some. So I thought it must just be the difference in the PI cam itself. I took the mufflers off for the hell of it and now I clearly hear a beefier cam. what I was asking is there any tricks of the trade to figure out if it is an aftermarket cam or diag why its doing this? Also I should point out is there anything I can do in a apartment parkinglot? FULL EXHUST MEANING LONG TUBE HEADERS DELETED CATS INTO AN "X" PIPE UP TO TWO SLP MUFFLERS.

Not only that but the question below asks for opinions (hopefully based upon some experience). It's not asking for a list of steps or a troubleshooting procedure like what you might find in a Haynes manual or Ford shop manual but written by anyone. That makes the thread non-Tech.

I checked and cleaned the iac and scanned the obd and came up with nothing but the results of a healthy PI 4.6 2v any ideas ?

You were correct. This kind of question generates a lot more traffic in the Talk section.

Its probably just me, but when ever I hear an engine with no exhaust they all sound like they have a CAM to me. Modern engines are designed for an exhaust so I hate to be a downer but your CAM might just be your engine's normal sound without an exhaust.