Not Your Typucal Sem Interior Post

madspeed

Colonel Mustard
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
a van down by the river
Ok guys, I know the proper steps to recolor interior pieces. For those that have done it, how is it holding up? I ask as i may be buying a car and do not like the color of the interior. I have no problem refinishing them, but wondering if it might be better to find grey or smoke from a wreck and just replace.

Thoughts??

• Sponsors (?)

Here is how I made my mind up on whether to replace or refinish. (I kept the same colors.) Ford painted the dash, they painted all of my F-150 dash and trim almost. I can do better prep work than them, sorry but it's true, and I have had great luck with SEM. I refinished my stuff and don't regret it a bit. I will tell you prep is key and for safety sake I bought any parts I replaced in the same color, in case if I scratched a gray panel, red didn't show thru.

I've done a few red pieces and stripped them down the point where you could barely tell they were ever red at all. I then just dyed in very light coats. When it scratches, it just scratches through to another layer of black dye.

I hear ya, keep in mind the seat belts too. My factory smoke gray dash was actually molded in titanium when I scuffed it to paint it. I like smoke and Late Model Resto has the colors all ready to go (SEM special mixes) and have vinyl and plastic variations.

I'm getting ready to do my whole interior in black very soon, as soon as i get around to ordering the stuff. I'm actually thinking about using Krylon Fusion spray paint. It's designed to bond to plastic, and the 4eyedpride guys have said it holds up great. I'm still undecided though. I got a bunch of gray parts from the junkyard and i plan on replacing them with black pieces over time as i find them for cheap, but even the black pieces will be dyed again to make them look new.