Notch vs. GT Aerodynamics

Yeeeeees i do :scratch:

My buddies 2002 gt did the same thing, but not until he switched his tires to kuhmo ecstas or 720's or whichever ones have that big ass groove in the center of the tire. just driving down the road at 45 mph, the car would catch a little crack in the road, or when he was changing lanes and it would hit that center line, the car would jerk like crazy.

• Sponsors (?)

I had read that the drag coefficient was best on the hatch by a very small margin:shrug:

Was:
0.46 Drag Coeffiecient- Ford Mustang, 1979 (coupe)

Is:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1987-1988-1989-1990-1991-1992-1993-ford-mustang2.htm
87-93
these changes lowered drag coefficients: now 0.40 for notchbacks, 0.42 for convertibles, and 0.36 for the LX hatchback; the three-door GT tested out at a slightly blockier 0.38.

So it looks like I'm slightly wrong lol- The notch is a lot "brickier" than the LX hatch but not so much different from the GT.

So you LX hatch guys have a higher trap speed, higher top speed (147 stock) and a better time on the road :nice:

Congrats the notch sux on teh highway!!! B R I C K

Hell most SUV's are in the 30's - 50's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mines fine till i start climbing in to the triple digits, thats when its fun...... :) Now hitting a bump at 90 and feeling the car bounce thats fun too, but i have no problem going about 90 down the interstate and holding it steady.

(Mine has no power windows or power locks, and has the air bag.)

My buddies 2002 gt did the same thing, but not until he switched his tires to kuhmo ecstas or 720's or whichever ones have that big ass groove in the center of the tire. just driving down the road at 45 mph, the car would catch a little crack in the road, or when he was changing lanes and it would hit that center line, the car would jerk like crazy.

Mine does that!!!

Was:

Is:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1987-1988-1989-1990-1991-1992-1993-ford-mustang2.htm

So it looks like I'm slightly wrong lol- The notch is a lot "brickier" than the LX hatch but not so much different from the GT.

So you LX hatch guys have a higher trap speed, higher top speed (147 stock) and a better time on the road :nice:

Congrats the notch sux on teh highway!!! B R I C K

Hell most SUV's are in the 30's - 50's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The difference between the notch and an LX hatchback is the shape of the rear window. On the LX hatch, it's a gradual decline in height so the air flows clean over the roof of the car and down.

With the notch, there is a sharp dropoff. The air is forced to drop down sharply creating turbulence and an area of low pressure which increased drag.

Take a look at modern cars and you'll notice gradual transitions from the roofline down on most sport coupes. The G35 coupe is a great example as it has a CD of 0.28 (0.27 with the rear spoiler and underbody diffuser)