Drivetrain Notchy shifting

sav22rem22

Feb 6, 2020
North Carolina
So I bought a 2017 Mustang GT with an MT82 a few weeks ago. Everything has been fine up until yesterday when I took the car for a drive and did a rolling start pull. Everything was fine up until shifting to 4th, it’s like I was locked out of 4th and the revs just shot up. I was not powershifting either. Just high rpm shifting. I pushed in the clutch and let off the gas and it shifted just fine into fourth after that. However now shifting feels really notchy and just not great. As far as I’m aware all of the drivetrain is stock and is bone stock other than some cradle lockouts and an mbrp catback. I don’t think it’s the transmission whatever the issue is even though the mt82 is complete and utter garbage. It almost feels like my clutch isn’t fully disengaging. Does anyone have any ideas? If it is the clutch, I don’t want to put a stocker back in but I would like to maintain daily drivability and have no intentions of ever racing the car so does anyone have any good clutch recommendations that doesn’t involve changing out the fly wheel?

• Sponsors (?)

Try installing a blowfish racing shifter support bracket before you invest in a new clutch. They run ~ 250 from various online retailers.

Ford uses a remote mount shifter on the MT-82 that is mounted to the underside of the trans tunnel and is connected to the trans via a link rod. When the engine torques over during high rpm the whole trans moves with the engine, but the shifter stays fixed causing a misalignment of the link rod. When that happens you get missed shifts like you described.

If you don't like the factory shifter, other manufacturers make a combo shifter and support bracket. Do some research on https://www.americanmuscle.com/2015-ford-mustang-parts.html
and decide which you prefer.

Try installing a blowfish racing shifter support bracket before you invest in a new clutch. They run ~ 250 from various online retailers.

Ford uses a remote mount shifter on the MT-82 that is mounted to the underside of the trans tunnel and is connected to the trans via a link rod. When the engine torques over during high rpm the whole trans moves with the engine, but the shifter stays fixed causing a misalignment of the link rod. When that happens you get missed shifts like you described.

If you don't like the factory shifter, other manufacturers make a combo shifter and support bracket. Do some research on https://www.americanmuscle.com/2015-ford-mustang-parts.html
and decide which you prefer.
I’ve actually looked into the Barton shifter and i think sometime in the near future I might be going with it. I couldn’t find the blowfish bracket anywhere. After driving the car back and forth from work today it seems to have calmed down a little bit and now it’s the typical occasional “nibble” when shifting. I think my plan of attack will be to change out the fluid in the trans with some syncroshift 2, I’m looking into the braided steel clutch line either from steeda or McLeod and I’d like to try out the 30 ib clutch assist spring. If none of that works then it’ll be time for a new clutch. At this point it’s nothing more than a minor annoyance but it’s enough to drive me up the wall