noticable gains?

Q's Stang

Jun 28, 2004
Indianapolis
do you think it would be worth it to spend a good 5-600 bucks to replace my whole intake w/ an accufab plenum/tb & cai? i wasnt sure if i should just save my money or if the gains out of all of that would be worth it? if it doesnt give that much of a boost & feel ill probably just save the money, buuut if ill be impressed w/ the gains ill definitely be all for it!

• Sponsors (?)

I would go a different route. The stock intake is fine with a K&N filter. CAI's dont really do much besides look good. For the air intake I would remove the factory silencer and run a K&N filter.

For the TB and plenum, most people say Accufab is top of the line... but your paying $$$ for it. There are alot cheaper throttle body and plenum combo's. Best priced name brand one is Professional Products. You can get a 75mm TB and ported plenum for 200 bucks non polished, and 230 or so with a mirror finish.

So say 30-45 bucks for a K&N filter, removing the silencer is free, and add on 200-240 for the TB and plenum... Under 300 bucks, half the price...:nice:

hmmm....well ill probably go the polished route so that would add like 20-40 bucks. is there that much of a difference in gains between accufab & other brands of plenums/tb combos? spending 250 instead of 550 sounds like a good idea to me...ill search it up too...

People say there are and arent. Someone posted up a dyno test of a couple of the popular plenums and Accufab came out on top, but the others were within 1.5 hp or so. The big variance was tourqe comparing the others.

They did two dyno runs... one with 70mm and 75mm. The 70mm actually made more... dunno why though.

For the price I would be alot happier with the PP plenum than the Accufab. But its all about what you want.

hmmm...any links to a site that sells the PP plenum? i probably wont redo the whole intake until the end of summer b/c of bills to pay, but id like to know which route i am going so i know what to look forward to.

Difference on the accufab is basically nill. 1.25hp is like losing 10 pounds, lol. I just got it because it is the best and looks the best imo.

As for a good use of 5-600 bucks, I would recommend a short-throw shifter first (much higher fun factor than CAI, TB and plen), and maybe UDP's? might run over the 600, but not too much...

its an auto so the short throw is out of the question or else id be doing that instead. im still up in the air w/ doing this mod this summer because at the end of next week ill be spending close to 2k on rims and tires. buuut if i have an extra 500 bucks laying around when i go back to college i wouldnt mind adding a few extra ponies for the road trip back down! and i am the same way w/ you miles, i was looking at accufab because i think they look the best compared to all the others and i havent heard any bad reviews on it.

Before you buy your rims please check out eBay. I bought my wheels off of seller WheelIndex for a great price. One came with a chip in the paint and he sent me a new one before I even shipped the damaged one back. Great seller, Highly recommend...

I have the PP 75mm TB and Plenum. The price was awesome from BlueOvalIndustries. The install was simple, the gains............ well I am not really sure I felt anything. I still have the stock exhaust manifold, so I bet when I get some LT headers and more aggressive cams, the intake mods will be worth it.

BurningRubber said:
I would go a different route. The stock intake is fine with a K&N filter. CAI's dont really do much besides look good. For the air intake I would remove the factory silencer and run a K&N filter.:

Yup.

BurningRubber said:
For the TB and plenum, most people say Accufab is top of the line... but your paying $$$ for it. There are alot cheaper throttle body and plenum combo's. Best priced name brand one is Professional Products. You can get a 75mm TB and ported plenum for 200 bucks non polished, and 230 or so with a mirror finish.

Be advised that the PP plenum, being an apparent knockoff of the Trick Flow (TFS) plenum, will probably whistle. Some enjoy that whistling sound, I've found it to be annoying. The Dragon plenum apparently whistles, too. IMHO, the C&L plenum might be the best bargain plenum, while the Accufab probably is THE best plenum.
:flag:

I felt a nice gain in throttle response when i installed my BBK 75mm tb and C&L plenum. I would't shell out the extra money on accufab parts since they don't gain you more then say 1hp tops. I personally like the look of the BBK plenum. I would have bought that if it were out when i was looking for one.