Fox Now this is... an interesting build. (2jz notch)

James V

5 Year Member
Feb 26, 2017
Connecticut

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Mustang/comments/cd58h2/found_this_foxbody_with_an_interesting_motor_swap/

Screenshot_20200115-202415_Reddit.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

The 2JZ is almost as prevalent in engine swaps as LS engines. If I were to choose an inline 6 for a foxbody, I would go with a Jaguar AJ6(4.0l all aluminum, 250HP NA), a Chevrolet Vortech 4200(4.2l all aluminum, 280HP NA), or a Ford BF engine from an Australian Falcon(4.0L Iron block, aluminum head, 350HP Turbo)...the choice boiling down to whether I wanted a carb(AJ6s are one of the few DOHC I6s with a distributor, so running a carb would be easy), The most stock NA power(Vortech 4200 "Atlas" engine makes 280HP NA from the factory) or the highest power potential(The Falcon Xr6 BF turbo engine makes 350HP+ stock and are built to hit as much as 1500HP from time to time, their nickname in development for the engine was "The Gull" because they knew it would crap all over every competitor). I like the 2JZ engine...but there are so many other alternatives that I couldn't bring myself to use such a common swap engine.

At least there's only one person dumb enough to think this is a "cool" build.:chin

Not sure about "cool" but any custom engine swap deserves appreciation, its always a lot of work regardless of engine choice....more work the farther off the beaten path of commonly chosen engines you go. In the end, as long as the owner likes it, that is all that really matters.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
I believe that the comment that a 2jz is as common as an LS might be a little skewed. It should be a 2jz is a common swap amoung other Japanese cars. It’s very UNCOMMON when placed in a domestic. ( compared to the LS).
I also believe that the Barra is potentially superior to the 2jz, but at a gigantic cost. As stated,...the 2jz in this country is so plentiful, and the hi-performance parts are so readily available, it makes it a no brainer. The obscurity of Barra engines, and the The cost to get one here, and then trying to get parts for it, make using one a real pain in the ass. And there are plenty of 1500 hp 2jzs out there to hand the Barra back it’s ass.

If a 2jz was as common in domestic cars as @wicked93gs thinks it is, there’d be a transmission adapter out there to put any modern domestic transmission behind one, or an oil pan to fit other than a fairly rare Supra rear sump pan.

There isn’t.

All of those alternative engines listed would be like putting a Coyote in a Camaro. Im all for different, but a Jag engine in anything, ( including a Jag) is a future phone call to AAA.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
You watch, a week after Mike's Monster hits the road some company out there will have an adapter for the popular transmission s
Even if they did, I probably wouldnt buy it. The only adapter that’s out there to mate a 4L60 to the engine was like 1000.00..
Reads to me like “ When the only transmission you can put readily behind a 2jz is a Turbo 350, or a power glide because somebody has made an adapter for it, the only guys considering doing that already had a freakin Chevrolet in the first place”.

i should’ve said adapter for a “ modern transmission”