Wheels-Tires NVX wheel fitment problem

Kid wita 5oh

I'm definitely not in the original hole
Founding Member
Nov 5, 2000
Saugus, MA
Hey all. Im trying to finish up my 5 lug/4 wheel disc install.
I went with NVX wheels from LMR with 245/40/18 up front.

Brakes are ATS Brembos with 13.2" rotors.
FYI the calipers don't clear the wheel with out some flap wheel finesse but that's a separate problem

Originally I had second hand Steeda springs on the car(I don't know if they were the sport or the competition ones) and it was too low up front. wheels would rub on the fender lip at the top of the arch. I then bought a brand new set of Ford motorsport B springs and put them in this morning. They are supposed to be less than an inch drop compared to 1-1.25 from the steeda.

Well... They dropped the car as much if not a little more than the steedas.

I'm at a loss on how to fix the clearance other than stock springs but I don't want it that tall

Here is a pic with the steeds springs

Attachments

• IMG_20221105_152007 (1).jpg
    IMG_20221105_152007 (1).jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20221105_152007.jpg
    IMG_20221105_152007.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 144
  • PXL_20221014_205840017.jpg
    PXL_20221014_205840017.jpg
    742.1 KB · Views: 181
  • Sponsors (?)

Are you using poly spring isolators? They can raise the car a little. You can also install Steeda spring spacers to get more room between the tire and the fenders. I cover them at the 6:00 mark in this video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXn_0QXo4vk&t

And there are install tips in this video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc8aJ4W8CQM&t

I have Ford Racing C springs installed on my car with 18x9" rims and 245/40/18 tires. You can see how it sits with the poly isolators and Steeda spring spacers in this video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3HGcnscKdg&t

If this is for a performance driving application, it's worth mentioning that these cars handle better when they sit higher than most people think looks cool.

It’s been a long time since I’ve looked at coil springs but when I ran them it was widely known that the B and C spring lowered the front 1.5” and the rear 0.75”. I believe this was on the hatch cars as they would not drop the Coupe cars that much in the rear. Also, B springs a progressive rate and C springs are linear.

H&R makes the best coil spring IMO. I ran their Super Sports on the Coupe for years before switching to coil overs. They cost more but the quality was definitely there.

Sounds like you have the top and bottom isolators on the B springs so spacers may be the next option. Other than that you can get rear lower control arms with adjustable spring perches.

Reactions: 1 user
Springs aren't going to solve your problem.
Those wheels look like they stick out in the front, just doesn't work on a foxbody.
A 245 35 18, may help.

Not sure what spindles you have, but if it's 96+, switching to 94/95 would help assuming you have clearance on the inside.
If they are 94/95 spindles, you could can probably put the blame on the wheels and tires.

I have Steeda sport springs on my car, 94-95 spindles and use an SVE Series 1 18x9 22mm offset wheel with a 245/40/18 tire up front and don't have any rubbing issues. I see that the NVX wheel has a 24mm offset, but I can't imagine that +2mm would make such a difference.
Could you post a picture of your spindle?

I think the Steeda spring spacers are a good option. They got me the clearance I wanted. If you have any questions after watching the videos, please ask. I'm always happy to help.

I think this will be the next step

It’s been a long time since I’ve looked at coil springs but when I ran them it was widely known that the B and C spring lowered the front 1.5” and the rear 0.75”. I believe this was on the hatch cars as they would not drop the Coupe cars that much in the rear. Also, B springs a progressive rate and C springs are linear.

H&R makes the best coil spring IMO. I ran their Super Sports on the Coupe for years before switching to coil overs. They cost more but the quality was definitely there.

Sounds like you have the top and bottom isolators on the B springs so spacers may be the next option. Other than that you can get rear lower control arms with adjustable spring perches.

I was just going by the drop amount listed on LMR
The rear sits fine with no issues(I do already have MM control arms with adjustable perches)

Springs aren't going to solve your problem.
Those wheels look like they stick out in the front, just doesn't work on a foxbody.
A 245 35 18, may help.

Not sure what spindles you have, but if it's 96+, switching to 94/95 would help assuming you have clearance on the inside.
If they are 94/95 spindles, you could can probably put the blame on the wheels and tires.

I'm using 94/95 spindles
They stick out due to the S&S kits rotor spacer. (3/16")
I should have done better research, I didn't realize the spacer would be that thick to use the s197 rotor. But now that's what I have so I'm going to make it work.

Based on the 1010 tires calculator (which i love), it looks like a 245 35 18 is nearly an inch shorter.
Should be close to solving your problem.

I have Saleen Reps - 18x9 with 24mm offset running a 255/35/18 front tire. I have 14" rotors and XTS Brembos. I have no issue caliper to wheel clearance but I needed to add a 8mm (5/16") spacer between wheel and rotor to keep from inner wheel lip from rubbing on my coil-over spring. Pic is with the spacer.

20211231_150920.jpg 20220129_104729.jpg 20220523_170649.jpg

I am running 96+ spindles with stock control arms moved in 1/2".

The caliper clearance issue is due to the design of the NVX wheels... They have a significant step down in the drum of the wheel.... So while they are 18" they have less clearance than some 17" wheels

They stick out due to the S&S kits rotor spacer. (3/16")
I should have done better research, I didn't realize the spacer would be that thick to use the s197 rotor. But now that's what I have so I'm going to make it work.

If you run the 04 Cobra rotor, you only need a 0.070" spacer IIRC. I would need to look that up. of course that's a lot of $$ to spend just to pull the wheels in 0.120". Then you have the slight pad overhang to contend with as well. I also want to say the S197 rotors had a thicker hat which added to pushing the wheels out.

IMHO this might be one of those situations where you need to pick wheels, or brakes. If you want the brakes, you might have to live with the poor wheel fitment or find different wheels. If you really want these wheels and want them to fit well, might want to consider selling the ATS brembos off and changing to 99-04 Cobra brakes.

The ATS brembos are a nice cheap upgrade, but they present a challenge in terms of clearing wheels and how they affect how certain wheels fit. I had them on my car, and took them off when i discovered the wheels I wanted to run would stick too far out due to the spacer requirements needed. SOme wheels fit really well even with the spacers, and some are right on the edge before adding the spacers.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
I agree 100%. I've thought about swapping to the cobra stuff but then Id also have to swap the rears to the 38mm calipers too. Just a lot to change, then reselling the current setup ..but cheaper than new wheels.

I'm going to see how it goes with the spacers when I get back from vacation and go from there

Ok put the spacers in ... Sits too high for my liking... I can raise the back with the weight jackers, I just haven't yet.
Also the tires now hit the front bumper skirts because they are at the peak of the tire diameter

I'm going to swap to the regular cobra brake set up to try to bring the wheels in and drop the car back down
(so the brembo/Taurus will be for sale probably in the spring at this point)

Im running the sn95 gt m/c and 93 cobra booster with a non abs sn95 prop valve.... Even though this is will be a stock setup for an sn95 I won't have any issues with the lighter foxbody as far as bias or pedal feel will I?

Attachments

• PXL_20221122_202949294.jpg
    PXL_20221122_202949294.jpg
    748.3 KB · Views: 67
You put spring spacers in?
I thought you were talking about some kind of wheel spacers (which didn't make sense to me, but i wasn't sure what you were talking about).

I ran 04 front and rear brakes ( IRS ) with sn95 prop valve, 98 master cylinder, and cobra booster. The brakes were OK but improved a lot with a wilwood adjustable prop valve. Just gutted the sn95 one. All the adjustable prop valves for mustangs look basically the same. I'm sure they're made by someone else and rebranded a lot.

I thought about the ATS and Taurus rear caliper upgrade but never made the move to start buying parts. Seems like with an adjustable proportion valve you could keep the taurus rears and adjust bias.

Reactions: 1 user
UPDATE:

switched to the 03/04 cobra front calipers and rotors, and removed the spacer.... Still had some rubbing on the fender arches during braking.

Fab'd up 1/4” spacers for on top of the coils(the first ones were 1/2”) and that did the trick. Car sits level(and low enough for my liking) and no more rubbing.

I so far have kept the Taurus rear calipers. I did a few panic stops on the test drive(after pad break in) and didn't notice and issues with them locking up. Car stops great.

I will be selling the ats brembos and 13.2 rotors if anyone is interested

Attachments

• PXL_20221230_184253271~2.jpg
    PXL_20221230_184253271~2.jpg
    916.1 KB · Views: 140
  • PXL_20221230_184237487~2.jpg
    PXL_20221230_184237487~2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 215
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users