O/D Off In City?

StangVert00

Mar 2, 2003
Stoneham, MA
Will keeping the OverDrive off when driving around town, burn out the transmission (Auto)?

I own a 4.6 GT 'Vert and I when I have the O/D off in the city, it picks up faster from the start, and it sounds "meaner". I heard rumor that it burns out the transmission fast with O/D off. True?

I am asking this question to avoid a new transmission. (if that is the case)

Thanks!

StangVert00

• Sponsors (?)

I think taking off faster with it off is all in your head. Leaving it off in town is what you should do since you don't need it. Leaving it on would do more harm than good from the tranny constantly shifting in/out of O/D when it isn't needed ... the O/D band is the weakeast link in our transmissions. You also get better engine braking with it off. I never use mine until I get on the highway at speeds over 55 or so.

01'TRUE BLUE GT said:
I think taking off faster with it off is all in your head. Leaving it off in town is what you should do since you don't need it. Leaving it on would do more harm than good from the tranny constantly shifting in/out of O/D when it isn't needed ... the O/D band is the weakeast link in our transmissions. You also get better engine braking with it off. I never use mine until I get on the highway at speeds over 55 or so.

Good points! :nice:

Thanks!

Stangvert00