O2 sensor cure PING?

I have a Really bad pinging problem between 2k &2.2K RPM>>>
I have the timing at ZERO TDC because I can't do the 6Degrees BTDC>>> have the EGR vac disconnected>>>
Connected an OBD1 and it says Code 41:
HEGO (HO2S) Sensor voltage low/system lean
Will that be a Ping Problem
Attached are pictures of the O2 Sensor and they are original equipment 1984
Will replacing it take care of the code and Ping?
What are these things supposed to look like?
100_1718.JPG
get rid of the PING

• Sponsors (?)

Yes. The O2 sensors are a problem and need to be replaced. They are a time change item designed to last for 30,000 to 50,000 miles.

What's more important is the overall condition of the rest of the engine. Putting brand new O2 sensors into an engine with a lean condition will effectively 'wipe out' those brand new sensors.

While it is true that a malfunctioning O2 sensor can cause an engine to run poorly; It is also true that a poorly running engine will kill an O2 sensor.

What I mean by all of that is that "yes", you need to change the sensors but changing them is not likely root of your issues. I would also be looking very hard for bad gaskets and hoses. Anything that might lend itself to a vacuum leak.

What are these things supposed to look like? View attachment 617461 get rid of the PING

oxygen-sensor-life-expectancy.jpg

Though not shown as a category in the above line-up, I would say that yours fall into the "Completely Toast" column.

Also... Moving this to Fox Talk. You may have a 2.3L motor in your car but your issues are very general in nature and there are more folks in this forum that can help you sort it out.

Yes. The O2 sensors are a problem and need to be replaced. They are a time change item designed to last for 30,000 to 50,000 miles.

What's more important is the overall condition of the rest of the engine. Putting brand new O2 sensors into an engine with a lean condition will effectively 'wipe out' those brand new sensors.

While it is true that a malfunctioning O2 sensor can cause an engine to run poorly; It is also true that a poorly running engine will kill an O2 sensor.

What I mean by all of that is that "yes", you need to change the sensors but changing them is not likely root of your issues. I would also be looking very hard for bad gaskets and hoses. Anything that might lend itself to a vacuum leak.

Though not shown as a category in the above line-up, I would say that yours fall into the "Completely Toast" column.

Thanx for the reply>>> It has 105k on it>>> Ordered a new one>>> I don't see what good it will do since this is Carberator'd 2.3>>>
I guess it will tell the Fuel Control Solenoid on the carb to do something or Adjust the timing

Thanx for the reply>>> It has 105k on it>>> Ordered a new one>>> I don't see what good it will do since this is Carberator'd 2.3>>>
I guess it will tell the Fuel Control Solenoid on the carb to do something or Adjust the timing

Pics... I was guessing you had an old style throttle body. What fuel pump is installed?

It's a YFA-IV>>> I put a new kit in it from Mikes Carburetor Parts>>> The Fuel Pump is Original>>> This only has 105K miles on it>>>
I am Fanatical about changing oil, I bought it w/42 miles on it>>> I have pictures of the Carb inside and out before I put the kit in.

Attachments

• 100_1721.JPG
    100_1721.JPG
    258.8 KB · Views: 133
  • 100_1720.JPG
    100_1720.JPG
    258.1 KB · Views: 152
  • 100_1719.JPG
    100_1719.JPG
    307.4 KB · Views: 154
It's a YFA-IV>>> I put a new kit in it from Mikes Carburetor Parts>>> The Fuel Pump is Original>>> This only has 105K miles on it>>>
I am Fanatical about changing oil, I bought it w/42 miles on it>>> I have pictures of the Carb inside and out before I put the kit in.

Huh... That's a good question about the O2 sensor then. :lol:

I'm sure somebody will be along that will answer that for the both of us. :nice: Maybe @85ragtop knows?

Electronic Feedback Carburetor>>> Ok I haven't heard that term>>> In my Haynes book There is Dura Spark 1>>> Dura Spark 2>>>
& then it goes to TFI Thick Film Ignition>>>I know my O2 is fried, I ordered a new one>>> The O2 sensor sends voltage to the computer
and the computer does something with that info>>> apparently if the voltage is low the exhaust is lean>>>
The only electronic part on the carb is the Fuel Control Solenoid (see pic)...that's that thing on the left screwed on the carb with the wires coming out the bottom>>>thats got to be the only control the computer has on the carburetor>>> I need to get the O2 sensor and see what happens>>>
I don't know I'm just guessing (2.3 SOHC Psychiatry)

Attachments

• 100_1720.JPG
    100_1720.JPG
    258.1 KB · Views: 127
Where can I get a new Throttle Position Sensor>>> I have 3 sets of codes bitching about this thing>>>
13>>>RPM at idle out of range/ Low (It's not)
63>>>Throttle Position sensor circuit fault--- Below minimum voltage>>>
73>>>Insufficient Throttle Position change/ Insufficient range
This thing has 100k miles on it/may not be in perfect condition
Man--- that code reader cussed me out worse than Windows for unplugging my computer

What is the idle rpm
What is the voltage reading at the tps
I swapped on a spare one when mine went wonky (I'm just that cheap)
i just checked rockauto.com (they are a vendor here so look for a discount) and they have them from $20 to $40 something for a motorcraft (that is for a v8)

Last edited:
Engine rocks to much to slow it down>>>
I got rid of 2 codes>>>
21 ETC sensor (Replaced it)>>>
41 HEGO(HO2S) sensor voltage low>>>System lean out of range>>>always lean (Replaced it)
I now have code 42>>>HEGO(HO2S) sensor voltage high/system rich
I have code 63 continually>>> TPS circuit fault/below minimum voltage
I may have a cure for 63>>>
I ordered this:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/New-Thro...-Econoline-Bronco-F150-E-Serie-TH44/953353180
Update: Since the system is running rich I was able to reset the timing from TDC to 6 degrees BTDC and No pinging w/EGR connected

I keep forgetting you have a 4cyl, that idle is kinda high I would think. Most cars idle around 650-750

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user