Occasional stalling

I've had my car since the summer and since I've had it, the car has had idle problems. Not regularly though, just every once in a while. The idle is usually good, and stays at about 800. But every so often when I get to a stop light the idle will fluctuate from 500-1000. It's very annoying. I never actually sat and watched it until one day, after stopping in my driveway. The idle sat at 800 for about 30 seconds and then started fluctuating more and more wildly. It went from 500-1000 and then 300-1500 and then it died.

When I first got the car, I blamed it on the car trying to warm itself up. It seems to be happening more and more frequently. It also does it every single time I drive the car, which it never did before.

What does this sound like, a bad throttle position sensor, or ISAC? Any ideas?

Thanks for your time!

• Sponsors (?)

leakyfaucet said:
I've had my car since the summer and since I've had it, the car has had idle problems. Not regularly though, just every once in a while. The idle is usually good, and stays at about 800. But every so often when I get to a stop light the idle will fluctuate from 500-1000. It's very annoying. I never actually sat and watched it until one day, after stopping in my driveway. The idle sat at 800 for about 30 seconds and then started fluctuating more and more wildly. It went from 500-1000 and then 300-1500 and then it died.

When I first got the car, I blamed it on the car trying to warm itself up. It seems to be happening more and more frequently. It also does it every single time I drive the car, which it never did before.

What does this sound like, a bad throttle position sensor, or ISAC? Any ideas?

Thanks for your time!

Hi,
My car started stalling occasionally last year then got so it stalled about everytime I drove it. My son found the Harmonic balancer was about to let lose. I would check it. My not be the problem but worth checking..

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=416643

If not a balancer try this.

http://www.pro-flow.com/tech info/troubleshoot.htm

Steve

might try cleaning the Idle Air Bypass(IAB), which is the cyclindrical thing attached to the throttle body. Might also try cleaning the throttle body, but be sure to use throttle body cleaner and not carb cleaner...carb or brake cleaner, i've heard, can mess the throttle body up. Just an idea...

to set the tps just get a multimeter/voltmeter (digital) and probe the green wire with your positive leadand ground the other one out on something. You are looking for .96 and you will probably have to move the tps around to get it to the right voltage. this test should be done with the car running at idle.

my 95 did this and i replaced the air idle control valve and this fixed the idle problem so far. i had the fluxuation like you do and now its fine. I think if your ballencer is going youll fell vibrations in the car and should def get that fixed. The control valve is easy to install and runs like 90 $