Engine Odd "moo" Sound...

GT-racer-13

Oct 1, 2017
1995 GT 143k mi, for whatever reason, when I am driving my car makes a "mooooo" buzz kinda sound as rpm increase. The sound goes on and off depending if I'm accelerating or not. It's a stock car with only a CAI on it. I've searched google quite a bit and couldn't find anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as it is quite embarrassing to inform passengers of the cow under my hood.

• Sponsors (?)

Let your mom out of the trunk.

Couldn't resist. :)

Where abouts is the sound coming from? Engine bay, rear? Transmission can get noisy and roar if the fluid's old (my T5 was that way until I changed the fluid). Rear ends can roar. Some video / audio might help diagnose.

Let your mom out of the trunk.

Couldn't resist. :)

Where abouts is the sound coming from? Engine bay, rear? Transmission can get noisy and roar if the fluid's old (my T5 was that way until I changed the fluid). Rear ends can roar. Some video / audio might help diagnose.

It seems to be from the engine bay. The noise turns on and off so it doesn't seem likely to be trans related

Remember your little heater hose incident?
I seem to remember some rumors about heater cores moaning without that restricter?
Maybe?
Could be?
Problably barking, er, moo'n at the moon
If the heater core made a noise, I couldn't hear it over the roar of the engine and the sweet sound of tires barking to the tune of 2'nd gear rubber...

Sounds like a bad bearing in one of your accessories. A really bad bearing. Remove the serpentine belt and see if it still does it. Then spin the accessories by hand until you find the offender. Air pump could definitely be it.

If it still does it with the belt off, it'll be something more substantial, but that's definitely where to start.

Yeah - pull the belt and see what you got...... it sounds like it's pulsating the whole time to me..... probably the air pump. Be sure that it's not leaking out somewhere. You can also spary down the bearings on the pulleys and see if one of them quiets up for a bit when you do....